Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled some programs and now I have problems in my system

• Please log in to reply

MK27

MK27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, first time posting but I really need some help..
So, I was trying to clean up in order to get some extra disk space and went to remove some programs.

When I turned on my PC again, some problems started coming about..
First, the screen resolution was set back to 600x800 pixels (my screen is 1024X1280). I just changed that back to the right resolution and didn't mind it.
Now my internet browsers are also messing up. The internet speed is fine, but when I scroll down, the page 'sticks'. This happens with all my internet browsers; IE, Firefox and Opera
It won't go into hibernation mode either. The button is there, only fadded onto the background like you can't use it.
And last but definatly not least, I CAN'T do a system restore. I pick the date to when I want to set it back and it starts restoring but when the computer's reset, it tells me it couldn't be restored.
What bothers me most is the 'sticking' of the internet browsers when I scroll down and I'm scared about it not being able to restorem, but I'm yet to see what other issues I may have come up with by uninstalling these programs.

Here's a list of the programs I unisntalled:
ATI Remote wonder 2
ATI Multimedia Center
ATI Decoder
ATI TVTV Help
Google Earth
Lande PMF Player
Logitech Desktop Messenger
Norton Scurity Scan
Star Office 8
AuthorScript

Can I fix it even without a system restore or is it time to send it back to the technicians?
Yeah, I'm pretty desperate, please help me out x__x

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
None of the stuff you uninstalled is vital to a Windows system so is unlikely to have caused any of the issues you mentioned.
BUt then, this is Windows so anything can happen. I noticed some of the items you removed were ATI applications, presumably installed along with your (ATI?) graphics card drivers. It's just conceivable that removing one or all of these has 'upset' the ATI graphics driver.

The fact that your screen resolution changed on it's own also points to a possible graphics driver problem, so re-installing that may cure the web-browsers 'stuck' scrolling, as I think this may also be related to the graphics card/driver. If re-installing just the graphics driver doesn't fix it, you may have to also re-install those other ATI items.

Re-check the 'Hibernate' option after re-installing the ATI driver. It may have been related to that so may now be available.

System Restore? -- it's not uncommon for this to complete but fail to restore. Try disabling it (Control Panel->System) then re-enable it. Doing that will remove all existing restore points but since they aren't working anyway you've nothing to lose, and they might even be the cause of it not working.

Oh, and I just noticed you're a new member, so I welcome you to Geeks2Go!, MK27.

Edited by pip22, 02 March 2008 - 12:06 PM.

MK27

MK27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I reinstalled all the ATI applications and the internet's stopped sticking.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can remove the ATI applications one at a time to find which one's removal cause the problem, then reinstall it. I guess that the ATI decoder is the one you have to keep.