Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Issue

• Please log in to reply

Admiral_Fuzzie

Admiral_Fuzzie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The other day, I dug an old 350-watt PSU out of my closet. I remember why I put it in there. There's an odd problem with it, but I would like to get it up and running again, if possible. :)

The problem with it is, is that I would hook this PSU up, and when I try to power the system on, I hear this odd noise come from within it. This "odd noise" happens just once and it lasts no more than 1/5 of a second (It sounds sort of like a small "eeeep" by the way). Also, I noticed that at the same time that this noise occurs, I see the fans I have hooked up (including the CPU fan, and the fan within the PSU) move just a little bit, then afterwards... nothing. :)

The problem with this PSU occured one day a couple of years ago, when I had a habit of putting my system into Standby Mode from Windows. :tazz:

That day, I had put the system into Standby Mode. An hour later, I came and pushed the power button on my case, which always brings the system out of Standby, and returns to the Windows desktop, but this time... nothing happened. I pressed the power button again... still, nothing happened. I pressed the power button about 8 more times, and still, the system did not respond. :mad:

So I had no choice but to hold the power button in, until I could see the green power LED on my case turn off. I pressed the power button afterwards to try and power the system back on. That's when I heard that odd noise from the PSU, and the system failed to even power on. I attempted to power on the system again and again and the same thing just kept happening. :)

I was forced to buy a new PSU ;) , and I thus tossed the other PSU into my closet where it lay and collect dust until the other day.

I just hope that this PSU didn't die on me and it will never be usable again.

I would like to state that the motherboard I had when I had this PSU was very unstable and my system would freeze at least once everyday. My point is... I'm wondering if the system somehow froze while it was in Standby... ;)

I don't know... anyone have any ideas? :)

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If that old psu died, I suggest you give it a proper burial. Unless you are a trained electronics technician (either by practical experience or by schooling) messing with it could cause damage to your system or worse, to you. Newegg has lots of good power supplies at reasonable prices. Trash the old one and get a new one. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree with austin_0
if the psu only powers the fans on for a split second before dying & it emits an eeeep, then I would say almost certainly that the PSU is blown (or you have a small rodent nesting in it).