Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

dollyd4

dollyd4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way of restoring my comp further back in time in system restore in windows vista.

I need to go back about 2 weeks but I am only given about 5 dates to choose from and none are early enough.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help
:)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!, dollyd4.

Like XP, Vista can only store so many restore points depending on how much disk space is allocated to the restore feature and how large (in terms of megabytes) those restore points are in total. Whenever a new restore point is created, Windows will if necessary delete the oldest one to make room for the new one. That's why they go back only so far at any one time.

All you can do is check the space that's been allocated to the System Restore and make sure it's set to the maximum with the slider, but even that won't guarantee it going back far enough when you need it -- as I say, the main influencing factor is how much space the existing restore points are occupying at any one time. As Vista is a relatively large installation compared to XP I imagine it's restore points are very much larger too. You'll probably never have more than 5 dates to choose from, though of course they won't always be the same 5.

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2008 - 02:38 AM.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh what a shame, means now then I gotta reset the whole thing. Oh how I hate vista!!!!

Thanks all the same for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dollyd4

In Vista's System Restore applet, in the first window, tick the button to "Choose a different restore point"...click "Next". In the next window, there is a check box at the bottom to "Show restore points older than 5 days"...tick that box and select the restore point you need.

wannabe1

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there,

I thought I did see that once. But now I am not given that option. Every time I go to system restore, I'm offered up to 4-5 days
but not the box offering to go back more than 5 days. Any ideas????

Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the option is no longer there, then you don't have any restore points older than that. Has System Restore been turned off at one time or another?

Why is it that you need to do a system restore? Maybe we can find another way to get at the problem...

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there, many thanks for your reply.

No, system restore has never been turned off.

The reason I have to retore, is that I lost my home networking. It takes forever for the network or network and sharing center page to load and then freezes. I get a white blank page for roughly 3-4 min, then the page finally loads up. I read the other help pages on here looking for help and came across another user who seemed to have exactly the same problem as me.

Title: (AIM Download Breaks Internet Connection)

After reading this, I found that the problem was likely due to me downloading aim. I then uninstalled aim and wanted to restore to earlier date as this originally fixed the problem for the previous user. But as I wasn't aware of the problem until after about a week, I couldn't go back far enough.

Since uninstalling Aim, the network page still takes forever to load, but now I can find the other comps on my network and access them, but they can not access my comp like before, or use the sharing facility such as the printer etc. but can see me.

The network and sharing center page, again takes forever to load and still freezes when it does load. I am being told at the top of the page, "conection status unknown and server execution failed".

My Network Discovery is set to custom and not public as I had previously set it to. (Don't know why this has changed). So now cos it freezes, I can't set it to public as I would like it to be.

I use a Netgear DG834GT router, Windows Vista home premium 32 bit and use AOL software to access internet.

I hope I have included enough information about this problem. Obviously if I haven't then please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help given.

Edited by dollyd4, 05 March 2008 - 08:33 AM.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention, I have to use task manager to close the network and sharing center down as I can't do it manually.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all again,

Don't wanna seem pushy, but has anybody any ideas on how I can fix my problem. I haven't heard anything for a few days. Should I just go ahead and reset my comp to manufactures settings??

Many thanks all once again for any help given.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

No need for anyone to answer now.....I ended up re-setting my comp and that solved the problem.