Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
My specs

ASRock P4i65G
Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz
2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM
Albatron 128MB 6600GT
Windows XP SP2

I removed the drivers (used that Nasty File Remover to completely make sure they were gone), then reinstalled with the CD that came with the card. It still kept rebooting, so I booted up my Ubuntu CD and ran memtest which found 40,000 errors before I gave up. Then, I removed the 6600GT and used the onboard one (Intel 65G chipset I think) and ran memtest again. 0 errors. So I put the card back in, rebooted, ran memtest and it got 0 errors. Then, I installed the drivers, and it was working for a bit before it rebooted again, so I ran memtest and it found thousands of errors. I took one of the RAM sticks out, and it seems to be working fine, but it will probably reboot again soon.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 02 March 2008 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, you don't explain what drivers you removed. After reading the thread twice i think you are talking about the Nvidia drivers. Seldom have i seen a Nvidia card that only works sometimes. I would tehd to think you have a marginal video card and replace it. or part of your memory has a problem. I have seen bad sticks of memory do this. Replacing either or both is the easiest method of troubleshooting.

SRX660

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I removed one stick, and it seems to be okay. But how should I make sure it's really broken (512mb isn't really enough), because somtimes memtest gave 0 errors, and sometimes it gave thousands.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Run memtest on one stick at a time and then run it with both. Did this problem start after you added RAM?

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I've had both sticks in my PC for months now with no problems. It seemed to start after I added an AGP graphics card though... but without one RAM stick the GFX card is working fine. When I got 0 errors, and then thousands, it was with both sticks. I'll try one at a time though

Thanks for the replies