Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Documents-Access Denied

• Please log in to reply

nimbusrogue

nimbusrogue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a hal.ddl error message and couldn't figure out the problem, so my dad reinstalled XP and now I can't get into my documents as I get access denied. When I click on properties for the file, it says 0 Folders, 0 Files, 0 bytes. There is not a security tab listed. I really need to get to my pictures and documents. I know I should have backed these up on my external...but when you aren't expected the worst to happen, it does.... please advise. Thank you.

Advertisements

ZetaByte

ZetaByte

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
wow!
i kinda have the same thing going on except i think i have a virus and i cant open up mi files...
hopefully well get the help we need!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello nimbusrogue...

You likely need to take ownership of the files to recover them. In XP Home Edition, this must be done in Safe Mode in order to see the security tabs.

wannabe1