Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which is better for new computer

• Please log in to reply

bastengo

bastengo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey everyone my computer recently died and I need to get one from bestbuy because I get no interest financing. I was hoping to get some advice on the different options I was thinking about. I heard that the intel runs much faster than the amd for quad core but the nvidia graphics card is much better than the radeon so I am completely torn. Thanks for the help as always

for $999.99

* Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600 with 4 processing cores, 1066MHz frontside bus, 8MB L2 cache and 2.4GHz processor speed per core
* 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media

* The Intel® Core™2 Quad processor delivers 4 complete execution cores in 1 processor for better multitasking and multithreaded performance; Intel® Smart Memory Access optimizes data bandwidth to accelerate and improve instruction throughput
* Intel® Advanced Digital Media Boost accelerates the execution of Streaming SIMD Extension (SSE) instructions to significantly improve the Media Boost performance on a broad range of applications, including video, audio, image and photo processing
* 500GB Serial ATA hard drive with DataBurst cache (7200 rpm)
* ATI RADEON HD 2600 XT graphics with up to 256MB video memory; 7.1-channel audio support
* 19-in-1 media card reader supports CompactFlash I/II, Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSD, miniSD High Capacity, microSD, microSD High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Mobile, MultiMediaCard Plus and MultiMediaCard micro
* Also supports Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC), Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick Micro (M2) and Microdrive
* 10 high-speed USB 2.0 ports (4 front, 4 rear, 2 internal) for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
* Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network connection with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps high-speed modem
* Dell USB keyboard, USB optical mouse and A225 speakers
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8, Roxio Creator Basic, Adobe Reader 8.0 and more
* Learn more about Windows Vista
* Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

OR for 1099.99

* AMD Phenom™ quad-core processor 9600* with true multicore processing for extreme multitasking performance; Cool'n'Quiet™ 2.0 technology for efficient energy usage; HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology to improve 3D graphics performance
* 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
* SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

* AMD LIVE! Smarter Digital Entertainment for all the screens of your digital life; you can manage, access, distribute, share and enjoy your digital content collection from virtually anywhere
* Direct Connect Architecture to deliver overall system performance; AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator and AMD Digital Media Xpress™ 2.0 for improved digital media and 3D gaming and graphics
* AMD Memory Optimizer Technology for multithreaded software performance, and AMD Virtualization with Rapid Virtualization Indexing to help virtualization software run securely and efficiently
* 2MB L3 cache memory for efficient system processing; AMD Balanced Smart Cache for a smooth multitasking and multithreaded experience
* 500GB Serial ATA II hard drive with 16MB cache (7200 rpm); Gateway Portable Media Drive bay lets you easily add a second removable hard drive (Portable Media Drive not included)
* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics with 512MB on-board video memory and DirectX 10 support; high-definition audio (8-channel support); S-video output
* Analog/digital TV tuner with 3D comb filter and PVR (Personal Video Recording); Vista media center remote
* High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo
* Also supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive; supports mini Secure Digital, Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) and MultiMediaCard Mobile with optional adapter (not included)
* 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, both front and rear accessible, for fast digital data transfer and easy connection of peripherals
* Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 connector; V.92 data/fax modem
* Elite multimedia keyboard, USB optical 2-button wheel mouse and external USB speakers
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Money Essentials, CyberLink Power2Go, Gateway BigFix and more
* Learn more about Windows Vista
* AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Phenom, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*Model number indicates relative software performance among this AMD processor family.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would advise you not to get any of those since you are getting ripped off on both of them. It would be much better if you could save up and build your own because unless you upgrade the video card on the first one or the CPU in the second one, it will not be suitable for gaming. A good build would be the first computer with the second one's video card.

Soorena