Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still Need Help with lasse.exe and can't get past windows screen

• Please log in to reply

cpt1

cpt1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I posted a few days ago titled "My computer is resetting." I still need help.

It seemed my whole system32 files were corrupt, so I ran the repair console on everything. After repairing the sam file and the security file, the computer reboots itself and gives the lsass.exe error and that updating the password was invalid. So, I tried getting into the recovery console again, but now, it ask for the Administator password. (There isn't one). Any help on this??

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello cpt1...

The lsasse.exe error can be a tough one to get past...particularly if you can't use Recovery Console. I'm assuming that when you are asked for the Administrator password you are leaving it blank and just pressing "Enter"...and then you get an invalid password error. Is this a correct assumption?

If that's the case, we may be able to get a parallel installation on there and recover your data via the working operating system.

wannabe1

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello Wannabe1,
Yes that exactly what happened. I went into system recovery to fix a windows\system32\config problem and after I rebooted the lass.exe file came up. I went back into system recovery and then it ask me for a password which I always pressed enter(never had a password). How can I fix?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok let's see if we can put a parallel install on there. One more question, though. Is your XP installation cd a Microsoft retail cd or is it a brand name OEM disk from HP, Dell, etc...?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I borrowed it and it's an OEM Dell -- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your machine a Dell, too?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No, it's HP. I do have an HP Windows XP Home Edition upgrade CD. That's what I used before.

Edited by cpt1, 03 March 2008 - 04:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't know if this will work because of the product key you'll be asked for. We can try it, though...use the product key for your machine when you are asked for it. It should be on a sticker on the side or back of your machine and will be a 25 character alpha-numeric key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). If it will accept your key then we're in business.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Using the Dell CD is ok?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Providing it will accept your product key...yes. Dell cd's contain the XP installation files that many OEM disks do not. HP cd's don't and a retail cd would not accept your OEM product key. This is your best option at the moment. If it doesn't work, you'll have a folder to delete on the C: drive, but it won't make matters worse.

The invalid password error is going to make this a difficult fix... :)

Advertisements

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It loaded but I get an error message: c:\windows\system32\msjavx86.exe

It says: Windows cannot find 'c:\Windows\System32\MSJAVX86.EXE. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Install Java...the file it's looking for is a java file.

So you have Windows running now? Have you found your old files?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes, I've found my old files. There's an old user name I can't open. It says: Access is denied. Why can't I open it. I was looking for old favorites. Do they automatically delete?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll take it a step at a time. Nothing should be missing.

To open and recover your old files, you'll have to Take Ownership of them. Running on XP Home Edition, you'll have to do this in Safe Mode in order to have access to the security tab.

After you get that done, we'll get rid of the boot option when you start the machine. That way it will just boot to the new install rather than asking you each time you boot the machine.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Wannabe1,
I'm in Safe Mode now but I'm confused about accessing the security mode.

I got it!!! I'm gonna restart the computer. I'm sure everything will work fine. Thank you so much.

I also have a Compaq laptop that resets at the windows screen. Can I do the same steps you mentioned below? Do I need to make a new post?

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click "Properties".
Click the "Security" tab, and then click "OK" on the Security message (if one appears).
Click "Advanced", and then click the "Owner" tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click "OK", and then click "Yes" when you receive the following message:
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
Click "OK", and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Edited by cpt1, 03 March 2008 - 10:12 PM.