Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still Need Help with lasse.exe and can't get past windows screen

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
  • Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click "Properties".
  • Click the "Security" tab, and then click "OK" on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click "Advanced", and then click the "Owner" tab.
  • In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  • Click "OK", and then click "Yes" when you receive the following message:
    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
  • Click "OK", and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Advertisements

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It's fixed and everything works now. Thank you so much.

I also have a Compaq laptop that resets at the windows screen. Can I do the same steps you mentioned below? Do I need to make a new post?

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click "Properties".
Click the "Security" tab, and then click "OK" on the Security message (if one appears).
Click "Advanced", and then click the "Owner" tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click "OK", and then click "Yes" when you receive the following message:
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
Click "OK", and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

I also have a Compaq laptop that resets at the windows screen. Can I do the same steps you mentioned below?

Start a new topic for that one...we may be able to get it running a different way.

On the machine we just installed on, right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" tab. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Here you go!!!

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the line of text shown in red below. Then click "File" on the toolbar and click "Save". Close all open Windows and reboot...the machine should boot right to the new installation without the prompt at startup.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

===================

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In Device Manager, do any of the listed devices have a yellow ! or ? displayed next to them?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey Wannabe1,
I deleted the red highlight above and restarted windows.

Yes, I do see a ? in Device Manager. They are next to: Video Controller (VGA Compatiblle), Multimedia Audio Controller, and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...choose one of the devices with an icon displayed next to it. Right click on it and choose "Update Drivers".

When the Hardware Wizard opens, it will ask if you want to go on the internet to look for it....select "No. not this time" and click "Next". In the next window, select "Install from a list or specific location" and click "Next". In the next window, select the checkbox next to "Include this location in the search", then use the browse button to navigate to and select the old Windows folder (C:Windows)...click "Next", let it search for the driver, and install it.

Do this for each device with a yellow icon next to it.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When I select c:\WINDOWS, do I select a file under windows because the OK button (To view any subfolders, click a plus sign above) is not highlighted

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...sometimes selcting just Windows works....sometimes not.

Navigate to C:Windows\Drivers

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I don't see it. I do have the drivers and utilities Dell CD. Can I use it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Dell drivers won't work on your HP.

Navigate to C:Windows\System32\Drivers

My mistake...sorry

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I tried it and I get a message: The wizard could not find the software on your comuter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the model number of your HP....we'll round up the drivers from the HP website.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
HP Pavilion a288n

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go Here...scroll down the page to Original Drivers and download the Chipset Driver Collection, the Graphic Driver Collection, and the Audio Driver Collection.

Install the chipset drivers first and reboot. Then the Graphics drivers and reboot. Then the Audio drivers and reboot.

Check Device Manager after doing this...there should be no yellow icons if everything installed correctly.