Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Agent.exe running multiple instances

• Please log in to reply

jecm254

jecm254

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
For a few weeks now, I have found that every time I shut down my computer (running Windows XP Home), I have to do an "End Now" multiple times on the agent.exe process because (a) there are multiple instances of it running; and (b) it won't quit/stop on its own.

This is an annoyance and of course they are eating up memory.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?
I have already run my anti-virus program and 5 different anti-spyware programs and none of them find any problems except tracking cookies.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer to resolve this issue.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, jecm254

There are several applications which load a file called agent.exe which may explain why you have more than one running together,

Please read this earlier thread: http://www.geekstogo...up-t178755.html

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2008 - 04:59 AM.

blingerson

blingerson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
FYI, I had this 10 instances of this agent.exe process running and it was killing my internet connection and disallowing me from restarting my computer. It was also interfering with my bitdefender agent on shutdown.

I did some digging and it is installed with a ROXIO media snyc program that comes with the install disc for my blackberry.

There is a buffer overrun exploit for some versions of this file which could allow some nasty things to happen to your computer.

Exploit Description from Blackberry

I really hope after removing this I am safe. Anybody know much about rootkits?

blingerson

blingerson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Update. I uninstalled blackberry desktop manager w/ media sync and re-installed the 4.7 version without the media sync. My startup time for my computer dramatically increased. I have had more problems with Roxio software then any other software save for AOL back in the late 90's.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, install, and run Whats Running.
Click on Take snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save snapshot, and save the file as snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to know location.

Posted Image

Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.