Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install Xp from hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dbldady

dbldady

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there a way to image my OEM XP cd to a storgage drive and install windows from that hd?

I am having hardware issues during a repair install from the cd. My wireless mouse and keyboard are unresponsive after the install reboots the first time. I need to make some driver selections and I can't move forward. Stuck at 34 minutes.
all hardware is disconnected except kb & mouse, video card, CDrom and hard drive? The OEM CD looks a little scratched, although I have never touched it until a few days ago.

USB only, no other mouse/KB connection options on mobo. Tried a hardwire USB mouse, and all USB ports, no luck.

Currently set to boot from CD first, USB set to noboot.

Thoughts any one? thanks

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
You will need a hard wired keyboard and mouse.
The drivers for the wireless are not loaded when doing an install.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Alas, hfcg is correct, you will just need to borrow a mouse and keyboard from another machine for the duration of the install. It will probably need to be PS/2 and not USB.

dbldady

dbldady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tyger,

Well I've read that many times already. Problem is my mobo has no PS/2 port, not serial, no parallel port. My fancy, broken Dell XPS400 is USB only.

Is there a way to force load a usb driver during install reboot so I can make commands and selections?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got a USB keyboard, go into the bios and make sure that "legacy USB support" and ANYTHING ELSE mentioning USB support is enabled....many bios revisions ship with this disabled which stops your USB keyboard from working untill the OS is loaded

dbldady

dbldady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ive been in an out of BIOS many times trying to fix problems that got me to this point (repair install that I really don't want to do any way)

I don't recall seeing a "legacy" option. I'll look again though.

Which tab is it under?
peripherals?

Thanks for posting

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to see if there is a BIOS update for your machine. For Dells you can usually use any Windows computer to make the BIOS floppy, if it has a floppy, or a BIOS CD. Note what version of BIOS it has and go to the Dell Drivers and Downloads and put your service tag # in and see what comes up. Also you may be able to use a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 to USB adapter

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If your computer is USB only, then it won't have any BIOS setting to enable\disable Legacy USB support.

Try going into BIOS Setup and loading defaults, then save and reboot. If that doesn't help the Tyger's suggestion may help. Download the BIOS update from the Dell site: http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

Click on the words Dell - BIOS. That will take you to a page you can download from, with instructions for installing (flashing) the update a bit further down the page, just scroll down to read them.