Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Keeps Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, recently, when I've opened a video to watch, pretty much with any player, my computer will shut itself down & start back up. Very annoying but I lived with it

Now, it's beginning to shut down when I'm simply surfing the web, At first it would shut down after an hour or so, but now it shut itself down about 5 times within a half hour

I'm on Windows XP, have no viruses or conflicting hardware

Anyone have any idea about what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Purple_monkfish

Purple_monkfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sounds like overheating, least that would be my first suspicion. Do you know what temperature it's running at? you can do this by booting up bios before windows loads (F1, esc or del. Mine is del but I run 2k) and checking the cpu temperature. It's not always completely accurate but it can give you a good indicator if one of your fans has failed, the cooling unit needs looking at or the pc is just generally acting up.
I'd reccomend eliminating overheating as a cause first, my old pc had endless overheating problems and would as you've mentioned, repeatedly rebooting or locking up.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi DrumsMike, welcome to G2G.

Anpother possibility if it's not overheating, is a software error. Try this:

Right click on My Computer.
Click Properties / Advanced / Startup and Recovery Settings.
Uncheck box for "Automatically restart".

See if on the next failure, you end up at a blue error screen (called a BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death). If so, record the info there and post it in a reply here.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello, & thank you for the replies

OK, I don't think it is an overheating issue because, while my computer is warm, it's not hot

And I will do as directed, but how do I get out of the "Blue Screen of Death"? If I simply reboot that screen goes away?

Please advise

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hello, & thank you for the replies

OK, I don't think it is an overheating issue because, while my computer is warm, it's not hot

And I will do as directed, but how do I get out of the "Blue Screen of Death"? If I simply reboot that screen goes away?

Please advise

Thats how it got its name. You pretty much don't have any options other than to reboot if you get to the "bsod".

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Need you to record the information and post it here, then we can try to determine what is causing it.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, got it. So when my problem occurs again, it won't just shut down, hopefully I'll get the "BSoD"

I wasn't sure if I got the "BSoD" AFTER it shut off

That's what had me worried

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Meaning, instead of my computer rebooting, I'll get this blue screen, correct?

I keep reading about this "dreaded blue screen" & I just want to be sure when it comes up, I can simply reboot to get rid of it

Obviously I'm not very computer literate

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, once you get the blue screen, record the error data then you can reboot.

Also, what did you mean by "OK, I don't think it is an overheating issue because, while my computer is warm, it's not hot"?

How are you checking the temperatures? What you describe does have all the traits of an overheating problem.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture.

You could also post a picture, directions hrer: http://www.geekstogo...st-t185663.html

Posted Image

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Here's the "SpeedFan" readings...

Fan 1: 2961 RPM Temp: 1: 1C (with arrow pointing down)

Fan 2: 0 RPM Temp: 2: 41 (with either a check mark or an arrow pointing up) (keeps changing)

(left side)
VCORE: 1.58V

+3.3V: 3.28V

+5V: 5.05V

+12V: 11.49V

-12V: -12.20V

(right side)
-5V: -5.10V

+5VSB: 5.43V

VBAT: 3.33V

Advertisements

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
A few things......

The SpeedFan "thingy" continues to change but not by much. I'm assuming it's monitoring the fans

Right now Fan2 is reading 2.52C & has a flame icon in front. I'm also assuming the flame icon isn't good. And why does this fan read "0" RPM's?

Also, in regard to your other question, I meant my computer top gets warm but not hot. It changes from warm to cool. It has been extremely hot before but that was months to a year ago

I hope this helps. And again, thank you for your help

PS: Doing this first before I do the "BSoD"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop system? If it's a desktop, open the case and verify all fans are turning and there is no accumulated dust on the fans and CPU heatsink. Also verify the heatsink is properly fastened to the CPU.

As for the numbers you posted, they don't make sense.

2.52C is almost zero degrees (32F). Did you mean to enter 25.2C?
Also, you said Temp: 1: 1C which again is almost 0 degrees (32F)

Maybe posting a picture would be clearer. Let it run for 20 minutes or so then capture the screen and post it here following the direction at the link I gave you.

Edit: I just checked my HP Pavilion 750C and Temp1 and Temp2 both register as -120C so SpeedFan doesn't work with all system, too bad.

Edited by Ztruker, 04 March 2008 - 08:33 PM.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey Z,

OK, I guess I screwed up on that last post

It reads "Temp 2: 63C

"Temp 1: -2C

Fan 1: 2961 RPM Fan2: 0 RPM

These are the new readings

If that's normal, I'll do the "BSoD" & post my findings here

Again, thanks so much

Oh, by the way, it's a desktop & both fans are spinning & secure

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Nothing there that helps. Go ahead with setting up for BSOD.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, I have no idea what's going on. I just had two system failures (shut-offs) & my computer started up again both times, WITH the 'automatically restart" unchecked

No "BSoD" ever appeared

It is also checked on "write an event to the system log"

Will that tell you anything? And if so, where do I find my system log?