Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Keeps Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that says hardware is shutting down the system, not the operating System (XP). As mentioned before, this is almost always a overheating problem but it can also be caused by other defective components, like the power supply, mother board, cpu, etc.

Examine the mother board very closely, look at the top of all capacitors. They should all be perfectly flat, no bulges, no discoloration.

Carefully remove and reinstall all removable components, cables and connectors.

If you have two sticks of memory, remove one. If the problem reoccurs, swap the memory.

Advertisements

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey Z, thanks for this. At least I know it's a hardware problem

I'll do as instructed & post here

Question, is the top of the computer (metal case) supposed to be warm at all, or is it always supposed to be cool?

I'm trying to figure out if it's running hot. As I've said before, it used to get boiling hot on the top, but hasn't for at least a year. But it does fluctuate between cool, warm, & pretty [bleep] warm, but never hot. It's usually lukewarm

Would you say I'm running too hot?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Looked back through this thread and nowhere did you say what kind of computer (make/model) you have.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
EMachine T1600

I've added one memory stick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's a desktop system so I would not expect the case to ever get very warm. Is the warm spot where the PSU is located?

Since you added one memory stick, remove it and see what happens. If it still fails, put it back, remove the other and re-test. That's an easy way to test for defective memory.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Is the warm spot where the PSU is located?

Assuming "PSU" means "power supply unit", then yes, it gets warm right above the PSU, where the power cord plugs in & where the main fan is located

Once again, it fluctuates between warm & pretty darn warm, rarely hot. I opened the computer up & the bottom of the PSU (the metal housing box) is warmer than the top of my computer case. Warmer, not hot. I could feel heat the second I opened up the computer

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's not normal. A PSU should not even be warm to the touch, especially in a desktop system, unless it's being pushed beyond it's limits.

Perhaps that is your problem.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, but how does it get pushed to the limit?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it's underpowered for the computer, which is often the case, or is just right but then you add other devices that draw additional power. Also if the PSU is failing.

Understand, this is only a guess on my part. There is no way I can tell if the PSU is good or bad. The only way to tell is to replace it and see if resolves the problem. Other than replacing parts till you find the culprit, a repair shop is the only alternative.

You could replace everything then find it's the mother board or even the CPU.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Z,

The same problem is continuing all the time. I've now realized that my PSU is extremely hot. That, & my inner fan, the back part of the inner fan case, is very hot too

Would my main PSU effect the inner fan as well?

Is it easy to replace a PSU?

Now I believe that must have been the problem all along

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is your system still restarting at random times. I do not think it is heat due to usually when a system gets hot it shuts down not restarts. Due to the issue first started happening when playing videos I would say it is a sound or video related issue. Were these videos played online or offline?

Did you ever get a blue screen with white letters. If so could you please post the technical information here.

DrumsMike

DrumsMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Tux,

It started shutting down & restarting when I played video's online mostly, but at times not online

At first it was just a certain video player, then started with any player I used

Now it shuts down if I'm just online reading something & even when I'm not online

And no, never got a blue screen. If you're referring to the "blue screen of death" thingy, never got that or any blue screen

The thing is, I usually leave my computer powered up. Today it shut down & restarted about 3 times in roughly 10 minutes, without playing any video's, just surfing. Then, after that, it stays on for hours & hours

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The PSU (Power Supply) is easy to replace.

zfightergt

zfightergt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i am having the same problem as him my computer keeps shutting down but it all seems to be random sometimes it just restarts sometimes its a blue screen error so is it possible for overheating to cause a blue screen error