Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive being eaten alive...

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
OK, I've been using this laptop for about a year (Toshiba Pro M70) and I've only had some issues with overheating. I use the PC mainly for design purposes (I'm a Graphic Designer) so i run memory intensive programs like Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Corel Painter all the time (sometimes all at once). This has never been an issue (even when designing A2 sized files) until recently. On Friday I was designing an A4 layout in Photoshop when I suddenly got a warning message from Windows telling me that the space on C disk is running low and i should run Disk Cleanup. When i checked the C drive in My Computer, it said that I have but 96mb left, instead of my usual 55GB!!Where the heck did that 54.1 GB go?? As soon as I ran ATF cleaner, it said it had freed 54GB of space. Why is it suddenly doing all this now? It never gave me that issue (the pc has 1GB RAM and a 128mn graphics card, dedicated as far as i know).

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Did you take note of where those 54gb of files where located when atf cleaner found them?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Nope. Where do I see where they are located? I'll run a quick test with Photoshop again and get back to you.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Appears to be coming out of the prefetch...

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Check out this article / tutorial. It may help you out:

http://www.windowsne...refetch-XP.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SpaceMonger is a tool for keeping track of the free space on your computer. Each file or folder on a given drive is displayed in a box in the main window whose size is a relative comparison to all the other files in your system. The program supports popup info-tips that can display the full filename, the icon, the date, size, and attributes of any file or folder. You can delete files from the right click menu and customize the number of files to be shown as well as the color scheme....
get it here..

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Jeffk813:

I tried fiddling with the settings as described in that tutorial. The problem has toned down a bit, but is still happening to some extent.

Happvrck:
I'll have a look at it and let you know. Thanks!

Edited by BlackHalo, 03 March 2008 - 11:30 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you use hibernate it could also be the cause of your lost space...go here for the lowdown..

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Photoshop Temp is taking up 1.74GB and pagefile.sys is taking up about 1.5GB. I can understand they are very large, but as I said: I've designed A2 posters before and have never had an issue with my C:/ diskspace being used so excessively by programs...?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
O, I never use hibernate. Only Shutdown and Standby. I disabled hibernate when I got the PC because it was eating into my diskspace.

Edited by BlackHalo, 03 March 2008 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run SpaceMonger yet..try running it before the problem and get a screenshot...then when it shows your short on space get another screenshot with spacemonger...compare the pic's to see whats happening..

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Photoshop Temp is taking up 1.74GB and pagefile.sys is taking up about 1.5GB. I can understand they are very large, but as I said: I've designed A2 posters before and have never had an issue with my C:/ diskspace being used so excessively by programs...?

This was after running spacemonger. Showed the Photoshop temp going through the roof suddenly.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry if I've missed where you've said this, but what operating system are you using?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
XP SP2. Everything is up to date.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as a workaround you can use ccleaner when needed...it will only take a few seconds and clears out the temp folder...
the first time you use it it may take several minutes though
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner icon to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS