Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive being eaten alive...

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Ran CCleaner as well, cleared up a meager amount of space. I'm still sitting with the problem that the harddisk space drops when i open a memory-intensive program though.

Advertisements

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
By the way, after checking my System Info, I found that my DMA has no drivers installed (for some reason). Could this have anything to do with the problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope...DMA = direct memory access..
if any part was not using dma you would know...your computer would be extremely slow

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen a case in which so much space was cleared by a cleaning program (ATF in your case). Could you give us some more details about the rate in which disk space is dropping, say after 1 hour of normal work with your programs.

I have only seen such cases when malware was involved. Please run a thorough scan with antimalware programs and report the results.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Ever since making those adjustments as suggested in the first few posts, the drop has significantly reduced. It is still present however. Usually it now drops about 2-3GB when working with Photoshop, but the PC is slowed down to a dying crawl!Takes ages to place a photo in an A2 poster and to initialise the type tool or save a file usually constitutes a coffee break. I've run all possible scans (I used to be GeekU, heh) and checked most results. Don't know if I'm missing anything though. I'll do the whole shebang again today and report back.

Edited by BlackHalo, 06 March 2008 - 06:15 AM.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Posted a topic in the Malware section as well, waiting for a reply there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Good idea. Good luck.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Cool, thanks. Someone suggested to me that it might be a physical problem with the hardware as well. He said something about a damaged bus that might cause it, buuuuuut I'm not too sure about the reliability of the source...?

Edited by BlackHalo, 10 March 2008 - 10:55 AM.