Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Problem

• Please log in to reply

Wutz

Wutz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

I have a Packard Bell IMEDIA 1529 that comes with no XP cd, so i created a master DVD. last week my pc started to mess up so i decided to use my master DVD but when it loaded up it asked for a Serial, at the time i didnt know it was located at the back of the pc. I downloaded Windows XP SP2 and burned it to a DVD when i loaded it up and went through the motions it asked me for a serial so i put in my original Product Key, which didnt work. so i Pm'd the guy i got it off and he gave me the Key. Win XP SP2 was now installed but it has a 30 day time limit to activate it wont accept my original key. What do i do!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Wutz & welcome to Geeks2Go!

You downloaded Windows XP SP2 (Windows including the service pack) or just the service pack on it's own? Your post is a bit confusing.

Wutz

Wutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ive got a copy of windows xp with sp2 included in the copy

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
wutz,

Where did you download the copy of XP SP2 from? I'm a little confused, just as pip22 was. Your original product key won't work with that, it will only work with your original version. If you just downloaded XP from a crack site and you're looking for help with activating it, we won't help with that.

Wutz

Wutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont use crack sites! the copy is my friends windows xp sp2 we thought if we use his dvd and my serial number it would work but it doesnt so i dont know what to do now, every 30 days i have to reinstall my os

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, it's still not a legal copy of Windows, and that's why it won't activate. You can't use someone else's copy and your number - it doesn't work like that. You should be able to go back to the computer manufacturer and get a copy of the CD, but you can't use someone else's copy.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I have a Packard Bell IMEDIA 1529 that comes with no XP cd, so i created a master DVD. last week my pc started to mess up so i decided to use my master DVD but when it loaded up it asked for a Serial, at the time i didnt know it was located at the back of the pc.

if this master was made from the OS that was installed on your computer originally ...then this time reinstall it (the master you made) using the keycode from the back of the computer

Edited by happyrck, 05 March 2008 - 09:40 AM.

Wutz

Wutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i cant do that my master dvd is damaged it wont work, so im stuck in limbo. unless i buy a new 0S which im not i can live with reformatting end of each month