Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Keep Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

johnykit

johnykit

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good day gang, My brother's laptop just stop working. He used it the night before and the next morning he tried to use it windows xp keeps rebooting. I tried going in to safe mode, last known good working configuration. I tried to boot from my windows XP CD to see if I could get into the recorvery mode, it's not letting me for some reason.

Can some body please help!!!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
has many possible causes but start with testing for bad ram.
Download 'memtest' here: http://www.memtest86.com/
Click on the 'free download' link and download 'ISO image to make bootable cd" (zip file)
Burn iso to a blank cd using nero or similar which can burn iso files.
Boot up the problem PC from the memtest cd.

Let memtest run several times. The longer you let it run the more accurate the test is.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also, since you can get to the Boot Selection Screen where you select Safe Mode, select Turn off automatic restart.

On the next boot, you should get a blue error screen. Record the data and post it here please.

johnykit

johnykit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Also, since you can get to the Boot Selection Screen where you select Safe Mode, select Turn off automatic restart.

On the next boot, you should get a blue error screen. Record the data and post it here please.

It doesn't even let me go to save mode, do I have to stop the automatic restarting from the BIOS, because that's the only place I can get in to!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, you don't go into Safe Mode. From your initial post, it sounds like you do get to the screen that has the various boot options, like Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. Is that correct?

If so, that is where you would select "Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure". Now if the computer does not have SP2 installed, then that choice will not be available.

You said you tried to boot to the Recovery Console from your Windows XP CD, what happens? If it doesn't boot the CD at all then you need to go into BIOS Setup and set the CD drive as the first boot device.

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello!

My first post & having a similar problem
HP/Compaq v6000 Presario laptop - OS = WinXPHome
I purchased 2 GB of Corsair RAM yesterday & installed it after work.
Laptop booted up normally, recognized & displayed (in Cacheman) that I now have 2GBs of memory.
Everything seemed to be working fine, opened browser,checked gmail, etc.
I've had a continuing issue with this laptop, it being that even being logged in as admin on it, it will not allow me to uninstall
any of the numerous crapwares that came with it (game demos etc) I had found in another forum someone mentioned that the HP updater s/w was the cause of this on their system, so I'd un-installed it a week back (which made no diff for my problem)
I planned on gathering up all the needed drivers for the laptop & then doing a clean install of Win XP Pro, so once again installed the updater from it's folder on the C drive. I opened the app & it went & found 3 updates for it, so I let it install them (do not remember what they were exactly), then it began rebooting....and re-booting...and re-booting..
It takes me to the DOS screen asking if I want to try Safe Mode etc, but no matter what I pick , it starts to try & boot, then flashes a BSOD with text that I cannot make out (only for a millisec) before rebooting again.
My first thought was that the RAM may be bad (even tho' it appeared to work fine), so I reopened the laptop & replaced the original HP ram, but no joy.
Any suggestions on what I can do to get this sussed out would be most welcome. It is my wifes laptop & she isn't talking to me much lately.... :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do the same things suggested above.

1. Turn off Automatic restart via the Boot Selection Screen.
2. Choose Last known good configuration, see if that helps.

Sounds like one of the driver updates did you in.

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks for the response!

However, I don't have the option to turn off the restarting from the screen I'm given, only 3 flavors of Safe Mode & Normal, none of which wil get past the Windows boot screen before restarting
And yes, after conversing with HP's online techies, they deduced the same thing... their own software 86'd my LT...sigh.
This time 'round, I'm installing vanilla XP Pro, & no more proprietary HP stuff.

And so it goes...

thanks again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about Last known good configuration? Is that shown?

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hmm...was not aware of that! :)
Going to check it now.

Advertisements

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok, well...when I start the laptop, I get the bios screen then a black screen with white text advising that OS didn't boot normally, and would you like to boot into:
Safe Mode
as above with Network
as above with command prompt

AND

last know good instance (boot normally)

If I pick ANY of them, they all get to the Windows bootscreen for like 2 seconds, then I get a flash of BSOD w/ text I cannot read fast enough, then it all restarts again
I might still try to boot to an XP disk & try Repair, if no joy there , then it looks like a full re-install...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How ever you fix it, turn off Automatic Restarts so if anything goes south again you'll see the error and have a chance of fixing it.

Right click on My Computer.
Click Properties / Advanced / Startup and Recovery Settings.
Uncheck box for "Automatically restart".

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks - will do that.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
stimuli, do you have an XP CD? If so, boot it and start the Recovery Console by entering R at the first opportunity.
Login as Administrator (no password) and select the XP boot drive.

From the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Let chkdsk run undisturbed to completion, see if that helps.

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK, an update:

Last night I ran the comprehensive test via the bios, and results were 100% PASS
Just now tried to boot up my XP Pro disk to attempt to do a Repair.
It loaded all the install files & asked for install, repair or quite. Selected Repair & instantly got BSOD with:

Windows shut down your puter to prevent damage

0x00000024 ,0x001902FE,0xF7A1E6DC,0xF7A1E3D8,0xF71DEF81

ntfs.sys ADDRESS F71DEF81 base at F718F000, datestamp 41107eea

Tried again w/ same result

Any clue as to what this is telling me?

thanks again.