Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Keep Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
johnykit, how are you making out? You thread here got a bit hijacked, sorry. Should have told stimuli to start his own thread.

You said you tried to boot to the Recovery Console from your Windows XP CD, what happens? If it doesn't boot the CD at all then you need to go into BIOS Setup and set the CD drive as the first boot device.

Advertisements

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

OK, an update:

Last night I ran the comprehensive test via the bios, and results were 100% PASS
Just now tried to boot up my XP Pro disk to attempt to do a Repair.
It loaded all the install files & asked for install, repair or quite. Selected Repair & instantly got BSOD with:

Windows shut down your puter to prevent damage

0x00000024 ,0x001902FE,0xF7A1E6DC,0xF7A1E3D8,0xF71DEF81

ntfs.sys ADDRESS F71DEF81 base at F718F000, datestamp 41107eea

Tried again w/ same result

Any clue as to what this is telling me?

thanks again.

Finally got info on how to do a reinstall using the recovery partition from HP tech (F11 key), as it appears the ntfs filesystem got corrupted. All the lovely junkware was loaded back on (including the bloated Norton Security Suite - ugh)
PC is up & running, but still plan on a full wipe & reinstall of standard Win XP Pro

Thanks to Ztruker for your input!