Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

enable startups

• Please log in to reply

bobkw

bobkw

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
going through the do this first list for resolving a slow computer.
i have enabled all startups in msconfig but have a lot of startups disabled in spybot including a lot of winlogon entrys.
should i enable all these entry's also before further troubleshooting?

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ehhh if your troubleshooting a computer I would just run in safe mode, or just turn of all startups and services, depending on your problem of course.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
It will speed up your boot time, Have you been getting any problems or noticed anything different with the computer to cause this, like install something, overheated etcetera...?
anyways, if its not affecting your computer then you don't need to make any changes with your startup. Just disable the things you don't want rather then delete it and if you were to notice an issue you can simply enable it again.

Edited by Suerte, 03 March 2008 - 11:55 AM.

bobkw

bobkw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks for reply
the read this first says to "re-enable all startups in msconfig or any other startup manager". thus my question.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
bobkw,

If you are planning on posting a hijackthis log for help in the malware forum, it would be helpful to have everything enabled in startup so the helper can see what is there. If it's determined that an item doesn't need to be enabled at startup, then it can be disabled again. If you think your computer is slow because there are too many applications, not because of malware, then you can leave items disabled.

sari

bobkw

bobkw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
so should i re-enable everything in the spybot startup manager as well?

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Yes if you want to post a Hijack this log please. Do you believe its malware? Slow computers is an effect caused by malware but it is not always the case.
I suggest you head over to the malware forums. Read this thread first, following what is outlined there you will get rid of at least the majority of your malware problems. If the problem still persists post a Hijack this log here for the experts to analyze. If it has been 3 days and you haven't received help, post in the waiting room and someone will get to you.

If you still have these problems or you are sure its not malware related then we can continue here in this thread.

Edited by Suerte, 03 March 2008 - 01:02 PM.