Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

bondy

bondy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I have an Eagletec 1GB USB 2.0 memory stick that i can no longer use. On any PC or laptop that I plug it into, it is giving me the error "USB Device Not Recognized" Can someone help?

Thanks
Peter

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The way to check it is to insert it in a camera and see if it will hold pictures or if the camera will even see the memory stick. If not the stick is probably damaged and dead. I have seen quite a few here that just up and died. I really think they got bent while being carried around in a camera case. It don't take much break them. I have quit buying Sony cameras just because of this.

SRX660

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it doesn't work on any computer you plug it in to then it's defective and you'll have to replace it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this can be caused by removing the flash drive without using the safely remove hardware icon located in the system tray...just got a maxtor 120GB external drive in that client disconnected without using( the safely remove).. its dead and his data is no longer accessible.. even by removing the drive from the enclosure and slaving it to a working computer..
I personally have hot swapped flash drives without any problems a thousand times...but now that I have 4GB flash drives (read spendy) and have seen other people have their flash drives die ...I no longer do it ...

bondy

bondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

this can be caused by removing the flash drive without using the safely remove hardware icon located in the system tray...just got a maxtor 120GB external drive in that client disconnected without using( the safely remove).. its dead and his data is no longer accessible.. even by removing the drive from the enclosure and slaving it to a working computer..
I personally have hot swapped flash drives without any problems a thousand times...but now that I have 4GB flash drives (read spendy) and have seen other people have their flash drives die ...I no longer do it ...

Think you're probably right there - it's a bad habit i got into! Since i posted the note i've managed to plug it in successfully to an old laptop that had USB 1.0 and got the data off of it from there. It's dead on anything else that's newer. I'll be more careful next time!

Thanks for the replies.