Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has died... PLEASE help!

• Please log in to reply

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Okay, basically last night i left my computer for a few hours, when i came back the monitor had broken, i.e. the LED light didnt turn on/off when i pressed the power switch, and no image was displayed on the monitor.... I got pretty annoyed, and checked the monitor with another computer - it didnt work.

I then got an older monitor from another computer and hooked it up to the current one (the one that the monitor originally broke on) and i find out that now my computer has broken!

The symptoms are:

When i press the power switch there is a beep for a few seconds, and the fans sound louder than usual. There is no image displayed on the monitor (it reads no connection, and there is no problem with the monitor - i have checked.) I thought that the graphics card may have come loose so i checked it, and had a look for any other loose connections in the case but could not find any....

When i press the power button on the front of the computer, it switches off immediately, rather than the usual few minutes where it would read (windows is shutting down etc. etc.)

I know that the computer has not booted because the light on the modem flashes red, when if it had booted, it would stay green.

I have had the computer for a few years now and have been meaning to upgrade, i have had a few problems in the past but i am fairly good with computers, and am usually the first person my friends call when they have a problem. Seeing as i cannot see anything on the monitor i have no idea what to do and really need your help - as you are the experts!

I REALLY REALLY cant loose everything on the hard drives, i have managed to recover files twice before after system failures using "file scaveger" but i cant even load the computer this time. - If i buy a new computer, will i be able to connect and access my hard drives without formatting them?

I would love to be able to use my computer again, as it is difficult to live without. I hope someone can help me, sorry for the extensive text but i feel as if i should cover all the problems. I am happy to provide any more information.

Im using XP SP2

Thanks!

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
It seems to me that a surge caused everything connected to it to blow meaning that too much power went through for some reason and your Power Supply gave too much power to the mobo and etc and therefore everything went out, however most motherboards protect the other components from being burnt so your video card, hard drive, cd rom, and etc should work fine. The same thing with the monitor too much power caused it to burn most likely. I can't think of any other reason why it would.

You will need to purchase a new motherboard and PSU. This can cost differently depending on what your system was that fried, please post the make and model of your computer so that we can look at what parts to look up.

As for your data it can be accessed from the new build once everything is up and running, however you will most likely have to reinstall windows which will require a reformat. I suggest getting a friends computer and backing up everything to theirs and then copying it back once done, OR if you get lucky and windows loads up on the new hardware you can just copy it to another partition and then format the windows partition.

If you need help you know where to ask! lol.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 03 March 2008 - 03:08 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd try just the power supply first. Sounds like the 12v rail died.

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
thanks so much both of you.

i think that may have been the problem, maybe because of dust build up... i have a huge problem with money at the moment, im a student and so i cant really afford anything so putting off buying a new computer would be helpfull...

ill try with a new PSU. thanks.

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
one queston...

how come my computer will turn on (but not work) if the PSU is broken? Surely it cant turn on without a power supply? please prove me wrong

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok one way to check if the power supply is still alive is to disconnect it from everything and on the 20/24 pin motherboard connector connect the green wire to one of the GNDs which are black, then flick on the switch if all is good you power supply should turn on. If you need a pic here is an example:

Posted Image

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 03 March 2008 - 07:41 PM.