Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i initialize a secondary hd

• Please log in to reply

kindred

kindred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have installed the drive, in disk mngmnt it says it is not initialized :tazz:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it is a new drive you must partition and format it before Windows can use it.

kindred

kindred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I really appreciate your response, perhaps you could point me in the right direction to partition & format it. also does it matter which of my drives i use for the OS & critical apps, and use the other one for working and storage? thx for your help.

kindred

kindred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx for your help guys and gals! i have my secondary HD initialized and formatted as a single partition, now my ? is which drive should i use to hold my OS & critical apps, and which should i use as the working drive?
I have XP on the master drive along with a bunch of drivers and other stuff that i dont want, should i install the OS and my software on the new drive then erase the old one and copy everything over to it? Will i be able to install my copy of XP on the new drive considering the fact that i already installed it once?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!