Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A question about two GPUs~

• Please log in to reply

Naree

Naree

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was looking at a pair of Sapphire GPUS.
They were the same, but one was 256MB and the other was 512MB.
Someone told me to go with the 256MB because the 512MB had more memory than it could use, and so would run slower.
Is this true?
Here is a link to the cards.
216MB
512MB
The 512MB, after Rebate, is only $5 more too.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
While the 2600XT is not a good option for serious gaming (if that is your interest...), if these were my options I'd get the 512mb version. 512mb is in no way "too much" video RAM. Such a thing doesn't currently exist, and I doubt it ever will.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

While the 2600XT is not a good option for serious gaming (if that is your interest...), if these were my options I'd get the 512mb version. 512mb is in no way "too much" video RAM. Such a thing doesn't currently exist, and I doubt it ever will.

Thanks!
Do you have a good option for gaming, if your budget is $100 or less?

Edited by Naree, 03 March 2008 - 03:47 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well for $100 or less, you won't do much better than that.

However, for $130, you can get the 8800GS which is much better than the card you are looking at.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Well for $100 or less, you won't do much better than that.

I think that an 8600Gt can outperform that card according to THIS. However I agree that $100 doesn't really get you a descent card.

Soorena

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
About the 8800 GS card:
I can't find the minimum requirements of the card on their site.
Since I know for a fact I will need a new power supply, Knowing this will be nice.
And about the voltage rails, things, whatever. I heard thats important too. Can you tell me the requirements for
the card please?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
TigerDirect has it listed
"450W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 30A or more."

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

TigerDirect has it listed
"450W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 30A or more."

Combined current rating of 30A?
How does that work?
Would this PSU work?
OR THIS?

Edited by Naree, 04 March 2008 - 02:51 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
HERE is an article that can help you with this. The first one will run it but I don't trust the second brand its unheard of, at least for me.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 04 March 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
What about this?
I know its REALLY CHEAP, but hey, as long as it works.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817339012

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
You really don't wanna be cheaping out on the power supply I burnt 3 mobos because of a bad power supply and the brand name I used was Kingwin which is more known then the one you chose. It can take you whole system out if you don't buy something descent.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Here is a search for the minimum I would suggest. Both are quality brands and are decent units for the price. I would be tempted to go for the OCZ as it has a 3-year warranty on parts. It might be a little more than you wish to spend, but as SOORENA correctly pointed out, having a poor-quality PSU can damage components.

Cheers

Troy