Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

speaker sound too low

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hey,

i am using xp sp2. on some videos the output volume from the speakers is too low. my laptop is a sony vaio pcgfrv25. i have look at the sons web site and they don't offer an update for my specific problem. is there an amplifier software that will be able to take the output from the sound card and amplify it. my soundcard is: soundmax. any ideas?
also all the levels are set to the max.

thanks

Edited by ekikos, 03 March 2008 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you are referring to the laptop's built-in speakers, you won't get much volume from them and even if you could the sound would be distorted owing the speakers' small size and limited frequency range.

You can't improve matters with software, but what you can do is buy a pair of 'active' desktop speakers ('active' because they are powered either by a/c mains or batteries or from the USB port (the usb type get both the sound-signal & the power from the USB port). This power drives a small amplifier built into the speakers.

If you only get low volume when playing DVD-video, check the volume control setting in the player software.
If it's all the time from any application, check the position of main volume slider by clicking the speaker icon in the system-tray.
If there is no speaker icon, go to 'Control Panel (classic view)->Sounds & Audio Devices'

Edited by pip22, 04 March 2008 - 03:56 AM.