Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Detacting IDE Primary Master

• Please log in to reply

glennsand

glennsand

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have this huge problem. when i'm working on my computer most of the time my computer will actually start ticking. not from the speakers but from the computer itself. after ticking for a couple of minutes my computer will automatically restart and then when it says detecting IDE Primary Master it will wait for a couple of minutes and then say NONE right beside it. I tried to reformat my computer but it doesn't work. Only when it stops ticking it will say it found the IDE Primary Master. It only stops ticking if you leave the computer alone for a couple of hours (6-10 hours). I don't know what to do can someone help me.

RAM is 128mb
Hard drive is 20 GB
IDE Primary Master is Maxtor

thank you in advance

Edited by glennsand, 03 March 2008 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Glenn,

You can scan your drive for bad sectors etc.

- Open "My Computer">right click the drive>select "Properties">click "Tools"
- Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
- Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.
- Click Start

This scan can take awhile so be patient :)

I would also suggest backing up all your important files and going shopping for a new hard drive. It sounds like yours could be on the way out.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your hard drive is failing. Back up any data that you need. You may be able to clone your old drive to a new one and save everything, but it may be gone too far for that. I would use the drive as little as possible until I got a new drive to clone it to. You can use another computer to download the cloning software from the new drive maker's site if the "new" drive is a used one from another machine, or for any reason you don't get a software disk with it. The new drive should be as large as or larger than the old one.