Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! Unable to acquire a network address among other thing!

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Put simply, my computer is having problems acquiring a network address. Everytime I turn on my computer, a virtual coin gets tossed somewhere in my tower, and that coin toss decides whether or not my computer will acquire a network address or not, or even detect the wireless network. Once in a while, it will detect the wireless network that I have set up, and it'll try and connect. BUT it will not acquire a network address. I disconnects, re-connects and keeps on trying. I have left my computer on at 7am, gone to work, came back at 5:30pm, and it was still trying to acquire a network address.

Any insight into this frustrating problem would be appreciated! :)

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Well, if you have a way to test it with a wired network connection (can get a cat5 cable and string it over to the PC) that would solve if its a wireless issue.

If not, I would move the PC next to the wireless router in the room (if it already isn't) and see if the random connection still exists.

After that in the same room, I would do a series of IP release and renewals and see if that the problem still exists.

And then I would (again if you can) try a new wireless card in the PC.

At that point I would suspect the router or your ISP.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I was having this same problem until a couple of weeks ago, when I bought a new router. I'm not sure if your wireless is coming from your router or your cable box, but it's something worth looking in to.

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Well it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I just called my ISP Technical support help line and they informed me after 30 minutes of blah blah that my Wireless Card is corrupted or something like that. I also get a message on start-up saying that "ANIWZCS2" has encountered an error. I googled that name and it is indeed a D-Link card problem.

The technician informed me that I need to re-install my wireless card software and/or re-install the windows wireless connection software.

Does anybody have any clue how to do this? I'm kind of lost at the moment.