Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constantly Asking Me to Change Password

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
:) VISTA is constantly telling me to change my password; if I don't it then does a countdown thing saying things like "you have 14 days until your password expires"...how do I turn this option or whatever off so I don't have to keep changing my password every two weeks? Thanks everyone.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Go into the "Help and Support" option and search "password time limit". It will show you there what to do.

Murray

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I cannot do what the Help says to; it seems to be for business/professional versions; need blow by blow instructions. My daughter is constantly being asked to change her password; I am the administrator. She is running Vista Home Premium.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Log on as an Administrator.

Go to Seach and Support and search for "Change password policy settings"

As per Microsoft

Change password policy settings

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

You can help protect your computer by customizing your password policy settings, including requiring users to change their password regularly, specifying a minimum length for passwords, and requiring passwords to meet certain complexity requirements.

Click to open Local Security Policy.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, double-click Account Policies, and then click Password Policy.

Double-click the item in the Policy list that you want to change.

If that doesn't work, I need to know exactly what happens not just a "It doesn't work for me" answer.

Murray