Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rundll error message

• Please log in to reply

butterfly54

butterfly54

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On start up I get this rundll error loading C:/windows/cfgmgr51.dll The specified module could not be found message. How can I get this missing file back. I did a disk clean up and scanned for spyware and virus's and trojans and I am clean.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Butterfly54

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
In fact you don't need that file; it's part of a BookedSpace parasite infection, and you're getting that error message because the file itself is no longer there, but Windows still thinks it needs to load it at boot time.

This is due to what's called an "orphaned" startup entry in the registry.

Go to Start > Run, type Msconfig, adn, on the Startup tab, uncheck the entry for "cfgmgr51".
Clivk OK, close Msconfig, restart your computer, and you should no longer be getting that message.

butterfly54

butterfly54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much, that worked! And thank you for getting back to me so soon. I went to a website the other evening and was hit with so many trojans and spyware I ended up with twenty on my computer even with my virus protection and my microsoft anti spyware protection. That has been happening since then on start up. I am glad it worked.
Thanks again,
Butterfly54

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
You're very welcome; glad to help. :tazz:

Two things though: the fact that you got infected so easily despite (as you say) ample protection, could well point to the fact that you're system hasn't received all MS Critical updates. If you're running Win XP that means installing the Service Pack 2, and subsequently ALL other critical updates still on offer at the Windows Update site!

Secondly, despite the fact that your error message is gone, it's my guess that you'll still have a number of issues that need tending to.

I would therefore go the the Hijack This section of this board and post a fresh Hijack This log. Someone will be happy to help you analyze it.

Good luck,