Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I have just recently uninstalled Service Pack 2 because of network issues, and now, the computer starts upo and everything, but past the Windows XP Home Edition screen with the green bar going across in the middle, the screen goes black, but it still runs just like its working, the startup tune sounds and everything loads up like it would do if i could see it. Everything works but i just cant see it. The monitor obviously works.
Please Help

Edited by joesquire, 23 April 2005 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try this :

When your system has booted up fully (to the black screen!), press CTRL-ALT-DEL to start task manager.
click File, then click 'New Task(run..)'.
In Open box, type regedit to open reg editor
Locate & highlight to key :
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\RpcSs
On right pane, right click on ObjectName & Modify
Type LocalSystem in the value data box & ok it.
close regedit & reboot.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
ill try that thanx
i got a feeling it wont work because it slike the screen turns off, but its on, but ill try, ill post again the result

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
that didnt work as i guessed, but i can get the desktop on the screen in safe mode, but not normally, as said earlier it loadsa up but theres nothing on the screen in normal mode

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try and use a restore point to get your system back to normal then we will go over the sp2 issue and I can explain how to get it on your system safely.

Rick

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i forgot to mention that i reinstalled windows to see if it would make any difference, but it didnt, and i tried the restore points in safe mode but there aren't any

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did you do a repair install of windows or a format and clean install?

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i repaired it

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
by any chance do u have AOL instant messenger or msn messenger, because if you do that will be easier than this, because i have both of them

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No sorry I use the board so others can learn to if they come across the same problems

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I know this is not an uncommon problem with SP2 but I'm not sure exactly what causes it.

I have avoided installing sp2 on any of my machines so I'm not an expert on this one. I can only sugggest that you could try the following :

1. If theres any important data on the system, back it up now, from safe mode.

2. Try a system restore (this is dependant on there being a suitable restore point to roll back to of course)

3. Boot from XP CD, at welcome screen press R to start the recovery console & see if this can fix it.

4. go to start->run & type: sfc /scannow
this allegedly returns the file system to the order it had prior to SP2.

Otherwise, you could try posting this is the OS forum I guess, someone there may know.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try uninstalling the video card drivers then see if you can boot normally and reinstall the drivers

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i cant do a system restore because the computer was built for me, theres nothing good on it that i need, but ive already booted from the xp disk i have and it didnt work

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
how do u reinstall the video driver?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you have a video card the drivers will be on a cd that came with the card or you can get them on the manufactuers website, if you have onboard video they will be on the cd that came with the motherboard or you could go to the boards site and look for them