Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i don't know the manufactuers name, i dont have any cds for it. because as i said earlier it was built for me

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well I am thinking that this is a driver issue because you can boot into safe mode, and the problem is with video so it must be the video card driver thats why you need to unistall/ reinstall it,I don't think it is hardware.

You should have recieved these disks with the computer

Do you know if it has a video card or onboard video?

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
yes it has an onboard video card

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This is difficult without knowing what kind of motherboard it is, there is the possibility that if you remove the drivers that on reboot XP will install a driver that will work but I don't know for sure and don't want you to try it and be without a video driver.

I would wait to see if anyone else has a idea
you could also look inside the case and see if there is a name on the board but thats a long shot

Rick

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
right ok then, thanx for your help rick, its been appreciated

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you haven't uninstalled the video drivers yet, then surely you get boot up in safe mode, then just look in device manager under display adapters, & the video card should be listed there.

(start->settings->control panel->system->hardware->device manager)

Failing that, go to Start->run & type msinfo32 <click ok>
In left hand pane. expand Components & highlight 'display'. The video card details should be listed in the right hand pane.

If that doesn't work either, go to Start->Run and type msconfig <click ok>.
Then click on the 'system.ini' tab, expand the 'boot description' entry & look at the display.drv= setting.

(apologies if theres any inaccuracies in these instructions but I'm running win98 at the moment so can't double check them without rebooting into XP!)

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi thank you for everyones help, i have finally resolved the problem by reinstalling Service Pack 2. Thanx again for everyones help