Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Problems?

• Please log in to reply

Zahrim

Zahrim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, my computer crashed and shut down without any warnings. I thought it could be because of the recent power failures there had been (computer had rebooted and shutdown 12 times without warning) a couple of days before that, because of a storm.. now I'm still not certain at this point, whether or not my problem is caused by this.

When I tried to start up my computer again, it gave me an odd beepcode, I couldn't find on this guide about beepcodes: 2 short beeps with less than half a second intervals, followed by around 8 short beeps with around half a second intervals. And the monitor was black - went on Off Mode - as if the VGA wasn't connected.

I tried various things:

I took out my graphic card - Result: same beepcode
I took out my RAMs - Result: no beepcode
I tried a new graphic card, and tried it - Result: no beepcode - but still no picture on my monitor.

Now I have 2 questions:

1. What could the error be? I'm totally lost..
2. Could this error be caused of the power failures we had a couple of days earlier?

Thanks..

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well it could be that the motherboard and or power supply was damaged by the storm/power failures that occured awhile back... try removing everything except a graphics card and one ( or two if you need them matched ) memory stick and see if you can get anything.... If it works try adding things back one at a time... if it quits working again take them all out and add in a different order.... if it continues to die on one certain thing being added that is probably it... if it's different everytime then maybe it's the power supply not supplying enough power.... If nothing works we are back to the power supply or motherboard ( no beeps with removing memory makes me think this may be the case ) .

Good luck.... Note you MAY be able to get something from insurance if it's due to a storm....

Zahrim

Zahrim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I tried what you recommended, and it didn't work. But now, when I put everything back in, I got a different beepcode - and still no screen on the monitor. Beepcode: "Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error" (Source)

*EDIT*

One more thing I noticed is that if I take out my ram blocks and try them on different sockets, the beepcode is the same on socket 1 and 3 on both ram blocks, but if I put any of the rams in socket 2, the computer starts up for 2 seconds, shuts down again for 2 seconds and then boots up again with no beepcode.. anyone know what could cause this?

Edited by Zahrim, 05 March 2008 - 09:37 AM.