Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help fixing a Compaq laptop

• Please log in to reply

cpt1

cpt1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
The laptop boots to the Compaq screen and then to the windows logo-- it bypasses a blue screen (it goes by so fast I can't tell what it is) and then resets back to the Compaq screen and starts the process over.

I did chkdsk on the computer and it still does the same thing. Any advice, please.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you start in safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

if so try this

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It want allow me to go into safe mode. It reboots back to the Compaq screen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the windows disks that came with the machine?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have Windows XP disks. Is that what you're asking?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that is what i was asking

Repair the Windows XP installation.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
    See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
  • When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
    - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    - To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Press ENTER.
  • Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
  • A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    - To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

• Press R.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi dsenette,

After I pressed F8, it took me to another screen.

To set up Windows XP press ENTER
To create a particition in an unpartitioned space, press C
To delete the selected partiticion, press D

These are the options listed:C: Partitional [NTFS] 5722MB 1210 MB free
Unpartitioned space 7MB

It's not one of the options you mentioned in #4. I'm not sure what to do next.

Any ideas on what I can do to help with this?

Edited by cpt1, 05 March 2008 - 03:30 PM.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Can someone assist with this please?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not detecting your windows installation....which usually isn't a good sign......how often do you backup your important information on the computer?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I can't remember the last time I backed up something.

Advertisements

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Can someone please help me with my laptop?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well since it's not detecting windows my suggest was going to be to start over from scratch by formatting the current partition and installing windows again...but hold off on that for a second let me see if someone else has a suggestion

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok let's try a parrallell install (basically installing windows in the same place it was before)

do all of the above steps and when you get to the part about
"- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
" press enter make sure to select the c partition listed and install windows there....that will reinstall windows on the same partition as the broken version....if this works we can then remove any remnants of the old install and you should be able to get into windows (where you should immediately back up anything important)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

actually follow those steps

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Dsenette,

I get a message "Setup cannot copy the file:marlett.ttf, msgina.dll, odbc32.dll, sxs. dll, odbcint.dll, shsvcs.dll, etc. After each one, I pressed ESC to continue.