Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB mouse doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

QuasiMolko

QuasiMolko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
XP Pro v2002 SP2 on Compaq Evo laptop.

I purchased a USB mouse yesterday, plugged it in and it worked perfectly.
Today it no longer works.
After unplugging and reinserting I get "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned".

I have tried every port I have with the same results, restarting (unplugged OR inserted) has no effect, all other USB devices have been tested and work without a problem.

Device manager reports no problems, but this "unrecognized device" has no driver... "Update driver" returns a "couldn't find better..." message, uninstall makes no difference. The manufacturer has no website or aftercare (boooo, but it was CHEAP).

I'm at a loss, I want my mouse back.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like the mouse has failed prematurely. Just take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one. I've seen cases of poor solder joints on mice circuits that made them fail.

QuasiMolko

QuasiMolko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It sounds like the mouse has failed prematurely. Just take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one. I've seen cases of poor solder joints on mice circuits that made them fail.

They offer no warranty on electronic goods, which is unsurprising given the cost of the products there.
As for soldering, it took no knocks between uses, in fact it wasn't even moved (literally).
It was a case of "works fine... power off... power on... broken".
But hey, you may be right... if no other explanations/remedies are offered up I'll consider it a lost cause and buy something reputable.
Thanks for your time.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Where did you buy that mouse from? You have statutory warranty protection if it was brand new. Doesn't matter if the mouse manufacturer has no support, its the responsibility of the shop who sold it you.
Try it on another computer first, if it doesn't work then then take it back to where you bought it from and either get a new one or get your money back. The fact it was dirt cheap isn't the point, if it was brand new in the first place take it back to where you bought it from, you don't have to shell out twice.