Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Apps run real slow.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, we just replaced a ladie's PC with a new one. Part of the software we loaded was the latest version of Java. One of the sites she visits on a regular basis is the local weather as presented by NOAA. There, she can see a looping radar image of our area. When you get to that page, a big box appears and the Java logo appears in the upper left hand corner of the box. The web page says "DONE". When you click on the box to "activate" it, the download of the loop begins but it takes forever. I found that it took nearly 10 minutes to download a looping radar image of our area. I pulled up the same page on my PC in less than 5 seconds.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I reinstalled Java, but that didn't help. And yes, I did reboot her machine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can try uninstalling any versions of Java that exist on the machine, reboot, then install directly from the site or from your original download. Perhaps she'd have more luck with an older version of Java? Or it might have just been a server fluke or peak use time for the website? Or gremlins. Since it eventually worked, at least you know your permissions are set correctly. One less troubleshooting step!
This site will tell you what version of Java the machine thinks it has:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html
And you probably already know where to find the different versions of Java.
Good luck with it!
Johanna