Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How would you install RAM in a laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Just wondering if I ever need to.

I have a Compaq Presario v5000.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Usually there is a door or cover on the bottom of the laptop with one screw. Remove the screw and it will give you access to the RAM slots. I have never done it on that exact laptop but the like I said its that way on all the other ones I have done.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get the maintenance manual for your computer...its a PDF..you may want to get all the drivers for your computer just in case you ever need them in the future ...burn them to a cd..

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yeah, I see that little door on the bottom.

That's where I thought it would go.

Okay, thanks.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yep on laptops it's hard to say different models are different. Most these days have at least some slots accessible through the bottom for end users to add/replace ram but I worked on one today that the ram is under the keyboard. I've also seen ones that have both.... older compaqs I believe had it next to the keyboard under the from plastic peace that often now has a touchpad.