Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Requiring assistance to find an audio player

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
My computer isn't the best, and it's in the process of wearing down. With 256 MB, it struggles to run Firefox, Pidgin and iTunes. As much as I love iTunes, I need something else.

But I'm particular. I would like one that's obviously, very lightweight, doesn't have to look great, but minimize to the taskbar, good sound with an equalizer would be nice and the ability to perhaps import my iTunes library file.

From anyone's knowledge, does any player fit these?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why not just buy some more memory? Get far better performance out of the entire system that way.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
A little matter of being poor pretty much. x3; I can't afford to go upgrading the computer just yet, so that's why I just want to try and limit my memory usage a bit until then.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
But ITunes, Firefox, Pidgin and Windows generally is using all of your 256Mb of memory. It doesn't matter how light this new audio software you find is, it'll still drag the performance of the computer down because there isn't enough room in memory to hold it. Its the lack of memory that is the problem here, not what programs you're using.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Until recently it's been able to handle it. Pidgin uses very little memory by the way, even less when it's minimized, which it usually is.

But I agree about Firefox and iTunes of course. And Windows...I really need to start again on this computer as it's gotten hellishly sluggish recently[takes up to a minute for a context menu to appear or to open a folder] but I don't really have the time or effort.

For now, I'm using an audio player called Billy. Very, very minimal so small RAM usage. Suits me fine. I was able to import all my iTunes stuff as well, so I'm fine with it for now I guess.

texasbuc

texasbuc

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Until recently it's been able to handle it. Pidgin uses very little memory by the way, even less when it's minimized, which it usually is.

But I agree about Firefox and iTunes of course. And Windows...I really need to start again on this computer as it's gotten hellishly sluggish recently[takes up to a minute for a context menu to appear or to open a folder] but I don't really have the time or effort.

Have you checked for viruses/spyware recently? Defragged your hard drive? You say that it was running faster before, and the time it's taking to open a context menu means that something is very wrong.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I defragged a coupla months ago and checked for viruses/spyware/adware and malware last week I think. Despite that, there was no change. I figure it's just 'cause Windows XP is being a jerk and that I need to wipe it and start again. I would if I had an external drive to back things up first, otherwise, too much hassle to burn all the DVDs. [Especially if you look at one of my past topics on this forum about my burner..]

Meh.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
WINAMP seems to be the favorite of a lot of people. You should update to Firefox beta 3 since it is said to have better memory management and you will need it with only 256 MB ram :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ram is really cheap now...although windows will run with 256...it wil struggle at best and hang or get so slow as to be unusable...512 should be considered the minimum when running xp...
you can get sticks of 512 for around $20.00

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yeah, Winamp's alright...but I find it's memory usage climbs a fair bit. xD; Billy works fine for me. ^-^

And yeah, believe me...I know. 256 is abysmal. Almost everything these days says 512 as minimum, which makes me sad. *shot* We'll see, might pick some RAM up cheap somewhere.