Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OE6 "not responding"

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Added a new email account and then switched identities to the new account but acct 'hangs' using 100% of CPU .... then when I close OE, Windows says OE is not responding. If I restart OE (after rebooting), it (OE) starts 'in' the new account and is still 'hung'.

Is there a way to force OE to open 'in' another account?

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello 911pchelp,

Sorry for the late response. I found the following advice that may help you:

********** Warning *******
If you have never used REGEDIT to view or make changes to your registry, then DON'T.

1. Start Menu > Run > and type REGEDIT > click OK
2. In the Left pane, expand the folders out by clicking the + symbols to navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{long-unique-number}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts

The key shown above as {long-unique-number} will be obvious when you get to that key. If there is more than one, then this is because you have more than one identity for Outlook Express.

3. Click the + sign to open out the "Accounts" key, and you should see keys below that which have names like 00000008, 0000000a, 00000013, etc.

4. Click on each of those keys and look in the Right pane to find which one relates to your Default email account. Take note of the key name containing those settings (eg. 00000008), and then go back up and click on the "Internet Account Manager" key.

5. In the Right-Hand pane, you will see a value named "Default Mail Account" under the "Name" column header. Under the "Data" column header, it should show that "Default Mail Account" is set to the names of one of the keys down below.

6. If it IS NOT showing the name of the key that contained the settings for the email account you want as your Default, then double-click on the "Default Mail Account" value or Right-Click on it and choose "Modify".

7. In the "Value Data" field, you will see the name of the key that is currently set as the default email account. MAKE SURE you have counted the Zero's accurately in the key name you wish to change it to, and change it to that.

8. Click OK and then close Regedit.
9. The settings should be applied when you next open Outlook Express, but it would be a good idea to reboot.

I ALSO suggest that BEFORE you change any values in Regedit, that you create a backup file that can be written back to the registry to restore the original values again.

In regedit, click on the "Internet Account Manager" key as detailed above, and then click the File menu > "Export" option. Browse to a place you will remember (eg. the desktop), and type in a suitable name like "Internet_Accounts". Click the "Save" button, wait until any screen activity stops, and close Regedit. You will now have a *.REG file that will write the original settings back to the registry if you Right-Click on it and choose "Merge".

The following links also have some good information on setting up multiple accounts in OE:
Green Apple: Support: Library: Configuring Outlook Express for Multiple Users
Setup and Manage Identities and Multiple Users with Outlook Express

Regards,

Ax

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Ax238 - Thanks for your response.

I had used REGEDIT previously and felt a little comfortable, so I viewed the 'identities' key(s) to make sure I was following the write-up but there was NO '.../Internet Account Manager/Accounts' key for my 'Default Mail Account'. (I've attached a .doc file containing a screen shot of the regedit display of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities in the left pane and the contents of the {ADBE...} key - that's my default account - in the right pane.) Thus I couldn't - i.e. didn't know how to - complete steps 5-9. (Don't know if attachment worked - or is permissible - let me know.)

As you can see, I have multiple accounts (6) and was trying to add a 7th when the 'not responding' problems arose.

Any suggestions??

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
It looks to me like you do have that key, but it's just not where you are looking for it. If you look at the instructions, it tells you to check the 00000001 (in your case) key below the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{0640797D-6D49-43B3-8D7D-...}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts

What are the names and values listed in that key?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
You are correct, there is an account for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{0640797D-6D49-43B3-8D7D-...}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts

however, that is not my default mail account (see the 0640_00000001.doc attachment) .... default = rapayne, but the one for {0640...} is dvmvacemail

My default mail account is {ABDE....} and it doesn't have an ....\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts key. (see the ADBE_default.doc attachment)

I searched all keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\ and could not find the 'Default Mail Account" entry (as instructed in steps 5 & 6 above). Should I add it ... but where?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
What values are under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{0640797D-6D49-43B3-8D7D-...}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager key?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
The values for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{0640797D-6D49-43B3-8D7D-...}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager key are in attachment 0640_IAM.doc

I stand corrected - SORRY (looked too deep) .... I see the Default Mail Account now, but I don't see the correlation between the 'name' 00000001 and my default mail account (rapayne) since there is no Internet Account Manager key for rapayne {ADBE....}.

Guess I'm being thick.