Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build Q&A

• Please log in to reply

Ebolavirus

Ebolavirus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
building new system what i had in mind
CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower
Xion SuperNova Power Supply 800w
(Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.8GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit with Factory OverClocked to 3.8GHz
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
(3-Way SLI & QX9650 Support) Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe X16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio
4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory Mushkin Xtreme w/ Heat Spreader
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (2) sli
300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache
20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Configuration Speakers System with Control
Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card
INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1(64-bit Edition)
TV Tuner with FM Stereo + Remote Control
Wolfking Timber Wolf Gaming Keyboard with Ultimate FPS Gaming Pad
Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse

is this a decent system at 3447.00, comments and additions apreciated, 4000.00 spending limit after tax and shipping

Edited by Ebolavirus, 05 March 2008 - 03:40 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm curious, it looks like you are asking if these components will go well together for a system you are going to build yourself - BUT - it looks like you've copied the information off a build you've found online somewhere. In specific detail, you cannot purchase a retail QX9650 and have it already "factory overclocked" to 3.8GHz! This processor comes as Quad-Core, 45nm, and standard at 3GHz.

If this is from an online retailer, would you kindly provide the link? I'm interested in checking it out :)

Are you intending on building this computer yourself? Or ordering it to be built for you?

$4000 is a very large budget!!! We will do our best to make sure this money doesn't get unnecessarily wasted.

Judging by the SLI configuration, my guess is this is going to be a gaming computer? I have a feeling there could be a few changes we could make to this that would give either a) better performance for the same money, or b) the same performance for less money.

There are a number of helpers on this forum, with experience between us to cover all the bits and pieces of the build you have laid before us - and between us all, I feel we could definitely help you improve that system.

Cheers

Troy

Ebolavirus

Ebolavirus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
cyberpower.com
intel desktop/high performance gaming pc/CyberPower Gamer Infinity SLI 8800
with a few additional changes

and yes a gaming pc, age of conan dx10, warhammer, stargate worlds, pictures and videos of new baby

falcon NW and cyberpower only 2 builders found with factory OC on qx9650

falconNW 6992.00 (close build)
cyberpower 3447.00

Edited by Ebolavirus, 05 March 2008 - 05:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there again,

I have asked a number of questions in my post that are still unanswered. For us to give you the best advice possible, please answer these questions :)

Cheers

Troy

Ebolavirus

Ebolavirus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thought by giving the link to build site that would have awnsered the question of build or have built,
but i dont want to build it (no time or patients) was just asking if it sounds like a good deal, looked
a little bit various sites, average seems to be about 6500.00 for roughly same build.
yes for gaming, video, pics, tv recording, e-mail, internet and, small amount of remote server maintence

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

That's no worries, there's just one thing I've learnt here - never to assume something. We'll ask you to confirm something if we're unsure, just to make sure we don't give out some incorrect or otherwise unhelpful advice!

It seems to me that these extremely expensive systems are just a waste of money. Everything you have listed (except gaming) could be done reasonably quickly on a sub-$800 build. I have to admit, anything much over $2000-$2500 (depending on complete specifications required) would come under the "For Bragging Rights ONLY" heading.

Not that I wish to completely just cut you off, of course :) If you have the budget and want an extremely top-end gaming computer, then certainly someone with a bit more experience in this area will be able to offer you advice on which system to get.

Oh, and just for reference, the correct link is http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

So to further clarify (you knew it was coming :)), you have $4000 to spend on a computer without a monitor included?

Cheers

Troy

P.S. Here's how my configuration turned out - it was fun :)

The onboard audio would be fine for my needs, but in particular with that speaker set you might want to look into an extra card. I didn't include it.

Also, you could drop the monitor and purchase one from elsewhere altogether, the Samsung 226BW is a much nicer monitor. They sure don't have much choice on their website.

And I would choose a SATA DVD Burner if it gave me the option :) I have that exact Pioneer in my system now, though, and it's so good!

For the price, I really don't believe you're getting the performance by running the Raptors in RAID 0. It might be a little faster in some aspects, but you're paying a lot more for it.

# *BASE_PRICE: [+3299]
# CAS: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower 420W Case W/ Side-panel Window [-1] (Black Color)
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CS_FAN: Default case fans
# CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.8GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit with Factory OverClocked to 3.8GHz
# CD: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+5] (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: NONE [-14]
# CABLE: None
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! CyberPower Multi-Purpose Carrying Briefcase ($19.99 Value)
# FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! Cyberpower Unleash The Power T-Shirt ($19 Value)
# FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
# FREEBIE_VC2: FREE! Poker Set
# FLOPPY: NONE
# HDD: Single Hard Drive [-378] (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+79])
# HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: Wolfking Timber Wolf Gaming Keyboard with Ultimate FPS Gaming Pad [+49]
# MOUSE: Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse [+36]
# MODEM: NONE
# MONITOR: 22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (ViewSonic VA2226W Widescreen WSXGA 1680x1050 [+7])
# MONITOR2: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI & QX9650 Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio
# MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin Xtreme w/ Heat Spreader [+75])
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
# OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
# PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts Power Supplies [+149] (SilverStone Strider 1,000 Watts PSU [-39])
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SOFT: Free 60 Days Microsoft® Office® 2007 (Words, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook + More) - Windows Vista™ Required
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# SPEAKERS: (BLACK/SILVER) Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Configuration Speakers System with Control [+157]
# TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
# TVRC: None
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# UPS: None
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express [+125] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
# VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express [+125] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
# VIDEO3: NONE
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
# _PRICE: ($3703)

Ebolavirus

Ebolavirus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry didnt note that i already have (2) dell 24 inch moniters and (1) 30 inch moniter, and (2) 500gig HDD too add when it comes

note that build goes over the 4000 budget, taxes

boooo taxes

thanx for the info!!!!

Edited by Ebolavirus, 05 March 2008 - 07:03 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Right then, I don't understand how the USA tax system works. If the final price tells me $3703, then that's what I would assume the final price is - tax included!

Even so, you could knock off the monitor and extra HDDs that I added, seeing as you have them already.

Cheers

Troy