Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU/motherboard damage?

• Please log in to reply

hanugro

hanugro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, what is the sign of CPU/motherboard damage? I have Tyan motherboard K8E and AMD X2-3800. A week ago I incidentally disable the CPU fan while opening the case and the system shutdown 3 times (while encoding video using MainConcept) before I realised about the CPU fan. For few days after that the computer has few lock ups when I encode video. However in the last few days the system looks normal even though I encode video. Is there anyway I can do to check more about this. Also if the CPU/motherboard is slightly damage will it corrupt my data? Thanks for your info!

BR,
Hartono

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your lucky you didn't fry the cpu...if the system is working normally now... then you dodged a bullet...count your blessings..

hanugro

hanugro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, but I thought the CPU is designed to shut down when over heat? Anyway do you know any test that I can use to conclude that both of them (cpu and motherboard is still OK)? I can't afford for it to corrupt my data so I need to be sure. I have downloaded memtest86+, looks like it also test CPU L1, L2 cache. I also encode video which should be a good test. My other concern is the motherboard. How would I know it is still good?

Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The BIOS did what it was designed, and set to do: shutoff the computer when the cpu was overheating. The motherboard could not be damaged by the incident. I fully agree to happyrck previous post (dodging bullets and counting blessings).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if everything works normally...you did not hurt anything...as far as your data...its on the hard drive and you can always slave it to a working system to recover your data...UNLESS the drive itself breaks down...then if you don't have your data backed up somewhere beside the hard drive itself then you MAY be able to recover your data but its REAL EXPENSIVE...the more important your data is the more critical it is to have redundant backups...

hanugro

hanugro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well so far Mem86+ gives pass result. I am in the midle of another encoding right now. Anyone can speculate on why the PC seems dying for few days after I put back the CPU fan but seems working OK right now (1 week after)? Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's one of this phenomena that we cannot explain but encounter quite frequently; the computer is sort of "repaired itself". This is no voodoo. It's because the computers that we so often take for granted, are highly complex creatures both on the software and hardware level. Most often, when we fix a computer, we can't tell where the problem is exactly, nor do we need to. It's good enough to say that the motherboard is faulty without telling at which component. Just the same, it's good enough to tell that a problem is in a certain driver, and repair it without knowing at what line of code the error occured. . We will not benefit nor are we capable of telling more then that.