Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows screen goes blank once i log in

• Please log in to reply

ManishKR

ManishKR

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Over the last 2 weeks, my system has been starting up normally showing me the log on screen and accepts my login but then the system shows up with just a blank blue screen and a pointer in the middle and nothing else. I can access Task Manager through CTRL+ALT+DEL but nothing else and even through Task Manager I cannot run any new Tasks. My system works fine in Safe Mode but I want it to work fine in Normal Mode. I was in touch with Rorschach112 who helped me check out for Malware on the system which was cleaned out, but then subsequently the system is not logging in Normal Mode.

The link to my previous post and the steps tried out by me on advice from Rorschach 112 are at the following link:
Windows blank screen. No display at all. [RESOLVED]

Please suggest what are the steps that I can perform to get my system back to normal. :)

Thank you,
Warm Regards,
Manish.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You said that a OS Repair was able to alleviate the problem, have you tried that since you were disinfected?
Also, try disabling your startup items by opening msconfig. Press the Windows key and R at the same time. This should open the run dialog box. If it doesn't, first open the Task Manager and try beginning the process explorer.exe. Then open the Run dialog box. Once the Run dialog box is open, type msconfig and press Enter. This will open the System Configuration Utility. In the General tab, see if Normal Startup is selected. If it isn't, select it and reboot the computer. If this doesn't resolve the problem, do the above steps again and open the System Configuration Utility. Then click on the Startup tab and click Disable All. Then click on the Services tab, check the box that says Hide all Microsoft Services and then click Disable All. Click Apply, OK, then Restart Now. See if this does it.
Post back with your results!

ManishKR

ManishKR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Admiral,

Thank you very much for taking out some of your valuable time to help me out. Well...I ran a repair as you suggested but the results remained the same. Then I booted up the system in Safe Mode and ran the System Configuration Utility suggestions and restarted the system. Wonder of wonders!! :) The system is back to normal and although a tad slow is much better than what i've been experiencing over the last 2 weeks.

Listed below are the Services which have been disabled as per your suggestions.

BitDefender Desktop Update Service
McAfee Framework Service
Network Associates McShield
Network Associates Task Manager
Machine Debug Manager
Office Source Engine
BitDefender Virus Shield
BitDefender Communicator

As is evident BitDefender and Spybot Search & Destroy are not starting up at Windows startup so i'm worried about my system's protection. Any suggestions to improve the situation?

Thanks a lot for replying to my post and for the valuable suggestions given. :)

Thank you,
Warm Regards,
Manish.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well it's clear that disabling these services restored your desktop back to the way it should be. Try re-enabling them one at a time, rebooting, and see which one is causing the problem. From there, you have some options, but the next obvious step is to find out which service is doing this.

ManishKR

ManishKR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Admiral,

Thanks a lot for the help. Will do as you suggested and let you know about what happens. :)

Thanks a lot.

Warm regards,
Manish.

ManishKR

ManishKR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Admiral,

I re-enabled each of the services and rebooted the system. After re-enabling BitDefender Communicator I started facing the same problem. Also after re-enabling BitDefender Communicator when I logged onto the system after restart, it gave me a Windows Script Host error message saying,"Can not find script file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\boot.vbs"" What do you suggest I do to rectify the situation?

Thank you,
Warm regards,
Manish.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
AFAIK, boot.vbs is not a system file, and would logically be created by BitDefender. While I'm not familiar with BitDefender, the easiest way to fix a problem with a program is uninstalling and reinstalling the program (of course rebooting in between). Give this a shot and see if your symptoms continue with BitDefender.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
BitDefender Communicator is part of BitDefender Antivirus.

Physically disconnect from the Internet, then uninstall BD AV. Reboot then reinstall it. Reconnect to the Internet.

This link has info on uninstalling it: http://kb.bitdefende...itDefender.html

ManishKR

ManishKR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dear Admiral and Ztruker,

Thank you very much for your valuable help and suggestions. I've un-installed BitDefender and my system is working fine. I guess you can close this topic as RESOLVED. I might reinstall BitDefender but at a later point in time. Thank you both for all the help. Wish you the best in life.

Thank you,
Warm regards,
Manish.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome Manish, glad all is well.

Do you have other anti-virus software installed? If not I suggest you install AVG Free.

ManishKR

ManishKR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Ztruker,

Thank you for the reply. At present I just have Spybot Search & Destroy on the system and McAfee Virus Scan. Thats all. Will definitely try out AVG as per your suggestion. Once again, thanks a lot for the suggestion and your patience with me.

Thank you,
Warm regards,
Manish.