Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

opinion on this specs

• Please log in to reply

paysismom

paysismom

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi all,

my husband's a graphic designer and our computer's pretty old (athlon of 5 years ago hehe), we're thinking of buying a new computer, I asked a computer shop near our place for specs, this is what they gave, I was hoping to hear some opinions on this, if it's all ok or do I need to change a couple of the hardware. thanks in advance :)

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad
2gb kingston ddr2 667
Inno3d 8500gt zalman Xstriker
500gb WD 7200rpm Sata
Astone Enforcer Atx Case
Sony Ad1790A Dvdrw

Everything's roughly around 650 dollars, if I can lower down the amount, what should I sacrifice or change if ever? much appreciated :)

paysismom

Advertisements

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
if it was me i would probably go for DDR2 800MHz RAM

btw, what is your flag? it's puzzling me

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I agree with sandman about the RAM but you won't notice the difference, if you can find a DDR2 800MHz RAM for about the same price as what you have there, then go with the 800MHz.
You don't have the motherboard and power supply listed there.

His flag is the Philippines :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

hi all,

my husband's a graphic designer and our computer's pretty old (athlon of 5 years ago hehe), we're thinking of buying a new computer, I asked a computer shop near our place for specs, this is what they gave, I was hoping to hear some opinions on this, if it's all ok or do I need to change a couple of the hardware. thanks in advance :)

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad
2gb kingston ddr2 667
Inno3d 8500gt zalman Xstriker
500gb WD 7200rpm Sata
Astone Enforcer Atx Case
Sony Ad1790A Dvdrw

Everything's roughly around 650 dollars, if I can lower down the amount, what should I sacrifice or change if ever? much appreciated :)

paysismom

Hi

You seem to be missing a power supply. Also I don't recommend getting the memory and video card since the brand is not that good. For your video card I would suggest a better card since doing graphic work can take up a lot of GPU power. I suggest something with more than 256mb of memory maybe 512mb or more so that higher resolution work can be done faster. Can you give us the name of the shop?

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 05 March 2008 - 08:02 PM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i've always been a fan of corsair memory personally

for a video card you could get a BFG GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 for around $200 if my £ to $ conversion is right :)

paysismom

paysismom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thanks for all the inputs guys. I'll be asking a friend of mine who knows quite a bit about computer hardware to accompany me to shop around for a new computer (hopefully he'll have time coz I really don't know what to do with these stuff haha).

re: power supply, I think the casing that was quoted has a power supply although I'm not sure. and I didn't know that the quote lacked the motherboard, hehe. The last computer we bought, we just told the computer shop to choose the hardware for us, not sure if we were had or not :)

kamille: you're right, the flag's the philippine flag :)

Soorena: the name of the shop's techpoint and I think I should go the higher resolutioned one, is there a 1gb video card?

sandman: I'm not sure if they're sell corsair memory here or I just don't see it normally on computer lists here. I'll ask my friend about the video card you're recommending.

guys, thanks so much for all your input. :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If THIS is the right one then the motherboard they are giving you is garbage since its an Asrock. I can try and make a build but I don't know if I can find much, lol. I suggest finding a better place to find your components since that store doesn't offer much.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 06 March 2008 - 07:05 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

For your video card I would suggest a better card since doing graphic work can take up a lot of GPU power.

Actually the GPU isn't even stressed, the most stress is placed on the RAM and CPU. I'd get the cheapest 8x00 series from nVidia or the cheapest HD3xx0 series from ATI you can find.
The only things that stress the GPU is video games and CAD. Video editing is slightly stressful on a GPU, but pretty well any low end card is sufficient for the real time rendering.

for a video card you could get a BFG GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB GDDR3

Not needed for graphic work, this is extremely overkill.

if it was me i would probably go for DDR2 800MHz RAM

If there are no intentions of overclocking, 667MHz RAM is fine.

I suggest finding a better place to find your components since that store doesn't offer much.

This is always a problem with local shops.

I think the casing that was quoted has a power supply although I'm not sure

Be careful, a lot of the PSU's that come combined with cases are very unreliable. The only PSU/case combo that I can suggest is the Sonata III, a decent 500W earthwatt PSU is included.

James

Edited by james_8970, 06 March 2008 - 09:19 PM.

paysismom

paysismom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
soorena: don't think that's the same company. :) would you be able to help me build if I give you another computer shop that has a website? the name's pcx (www.pcx.com.ph), my friend's suggesting we go there to buy.

paysismom

paysismom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi guys,

it's me again :) our friend's recommending these specs. these ok? :)

Processor: Intel Q6600 (2.4 Ghz Speed) 8 MB Memory Cache Core 2 Quad
Motherboard: Intel BLKDQ35MP Q35 Vpcie/SGl
Video Card: NVidia 8600GT chipset
RAM: Corsair 1 Gigabyte 800 Mhz x 4 Modules DDR2
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 Gigabyte SATA format or bigger
DVD-RW: Lite-On 18x-20x Speed Dual-Layer DVD-RW
Computer Casing: Any Full Tower Casing and Power Supply that can deliver a minimum of 550 Watts or higher

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Any Full Tower Casing and Power Supply that can deliver a minimum of 550 Watts or higher

Don't do this. Any PSU that comes in a case is lower quality, there are very few exceptions to this rule, one of the cheaper (in dollar value) exceptions is the SonataIII from Antec. Lastly, you don't need a 550W PSU or greater to run that system.

DVD-RW: Lite-On 18x-20x Speed Dual-Layer DVD-RW

For burners I strongly recommend these two.
Pioneer DVR-212DBK
Samsung SH-S203B

For a motherboard, I recommend gigabytes P35-DS3L.

RAM: Corsair 1 Gigabyte 800 Mhz x 4 Modules DDR2

Please note that you are likely going to have to increase the voltage on the north bridge if you go this route and do not attempt to install windows with more then 2GB of RAM.
James

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Here's my suggestion based on the site you provided. Also it would be nice to know what your budget is. Just to let you know though that the prices that site has is really expensive. I know the conversion rate and it seems like they charge you twice the amount of it compared to an American site.
Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 P4,580
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620w P7,700
RAM: Corsair 1GB PC667 ddr2 P1,560
DVD-RW: I would either go with LG or Samsung

For the RAM, that site doesn't have any in 800MHz, only 533 and 667MHz.

Edited by kamille316, 10 March 2008 - 10:40 AM.