Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Advice for a friend...

• Please log in to reply

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I friend of mine came to me asking if I could help him with building his first pc. So here are the parts I hav come up with:

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB)
Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7191A 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.33GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
Coolermaster Real Power 700w Modular Power Supply
OcUK Value IP35-S Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Samsung SpinPoint T 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD403LJ)
Asus GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
NZXT Lexa Blackline Blue Midi Tower Case

he already has mouse kyboard monitor and so on, was wondering if there was anything you'd change about this build? his budget is around £600 and he uses is computer for gaming but not real hardcore gaming and a bit of office work and music downloads.

Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For 32-bit Windows, don't bother with 4Gb of memory because it'll only see 3.2Gb of it anyway and you'll be throwing money away.

For the price difference, about another £10, replace the E6550 with the E6750, or (if you can find one) one of the 8xx series. Prices are similar between the E6xxx series and the E8xxx series and the E8xxx series outperforms the E6xxx series easily and costs more or less the same for a better chip.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Can you tell us where these are being purchased? Also I don't recommend that PSU you can find one thats better for the same price. And I also agree with Neil Jones there is no point in purchasing 4Gb for a 32-bit windows, although I don't see where you mentioned your friend has 32-bit :)?

Soorena

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
yeah, he'll be using 32-bit xp pro

www.overclockers.co.uk is where i get my parts from :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I don't see where you mentioned your friend has 32-bit :)?

I'm psychic.
And I predict you're either going to reply to this thread again or you're not going to reply to this thread again. :)

Oh, and Overclockers.co.uk isn't the cheapest place to buy things either. As an example, Overclockers price for the E6750: £124.54 + £8 postage. EBuyer price: £116.88 with free delivery. Go figure.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

I don't see where you mentioned your friend has 32-bit :)?

I'm psychic.
And I predict you're either going to reply to this thread again or you're not going to reply to this thread again. :)

Oh, and Overclockers.co.uk isn't the cheapest place to buy things either. As an example, Overclockers price for the E6750: £124.54 + £8 postage. EBuyer price: £116.88 with free delivery. Go figure.

Lol you predirceted right!!

for UK ebuyer is what you wanna use I just wanted to know if there is any other good stores in UK.

Soorena

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i used to use buyer until thy started sending me faulty parts lol

what PSU would you recommend?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi sandman,

The Corsair HX-620 is an excellent PSU that will power the system you have listed in post #1 nicely. It is listed with free shipping at £83.99 :)

You can find a review of the Corsair 750W version by wannabe1 (one of our site Administrator's) here.

It has a high efficiency rating (80%), modular cabling, and a 5 year warranty.

Cheers

Troy