Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program not Responding dialogue box

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
A problem which exhisted for quite some time now, but never got around to solving it. At shutdown or restart I get a diaalogue box which indicates "Program not responding" clik "end now" or "cancel and return to windows to solve problem". This usually indicates the program not responding as being "Outlook.exe" but may vary. This would happen about 50 times out of 100.

waynf

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi waynf,
I recommend closing all of your programs before turning off your computer. The error referencing Outlook.exe indicates that Microsoft Outlook is trying to close, but it's waiting for you to do something. This is probably the case with the other programs it sometimes references.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Teach Windows how to shut down without nagging you about unresponsive processes. Open the registry

click on start...run...type in regedit...press enter..

and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.

Double-click AutoEndTasks and change the value from 0 to 1.

double-click HungAppTimeout and change the value from whatever it is to 2000.

Then double-click WaitToKillApp and change the value from whatever it is to 2000.

Edited by happyrck, 05 March 2008 - 07:03 PM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
When I have followed your chain I get to Desktop all is fine, but my right hand side of the screen is empty, noting there at all, blank screen side. I maximized HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop. Have Imissed something here?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
double click desktop.
that should open the files on the right

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Here is a small reg file that applies the changes happyrck suggested. Copy the red data then paste it into notepad and save it as "TrainShutdown.reg". Double click on it to merge the changes into your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"AutoEndTasks"="1"
"HungAppTimeout"="2000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

To restore, use this reg file, call it UnTrainShutdown.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"AutoEndTasks"="0"
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="20000"