Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power up proces stop after 5 seconds and repeat the process

• Please log in to reply

newnoi

newnoi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a HP Pavilion 4805us with XP home and SP2.
It has only 492 MB of ram memory, and I tried to add 512 MB 2700 at 333Mhz replacing one module of 256MB 2100 of 268MHz. It doesnt work because the system only register 192MB.
The same memory works correctly in another PC Toshiba Satellite.
When I install the same modules that I had initially then the computer is starting for 5 seconds, and later stop and restart the power up again and so on. During these 5 seconds I hear the HD runing
I thought that perhaps the hard disk was disconnected. I verify the HD connections and were good.
Also I verified the voltage output of the external power module and it was correct.
please sugest me what I can do or verify before sending it to a repairing service, that in my area is inefficient.
Waiting your comments.
Thank you for your help

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let me see if I understand.

Your computer was working but had 492MB of ram (actually 512MB, but 32MB or so was used for video).
You tried to add another 512MB and it didn't work, so you removed the new RAM.
Now the computer doesn't boot?

Sounds to me like you have a memory (RAM) problem. Make extra sure the original memory is in the original slot and firmly seated. If it is then you need to buy more of the right kind of memory. I found a 512MB DDR266 PC2100, 200p SODIMM, 2.5v, Sync - Major Brand for $39+shipping.