Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Let a User add lines to a MS Word form?

• Please log in to reply

O/Siris

O/Siris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm in the midst of trying to create a template for some users for a quote form. I'm going to protect it as a template so that it can be saved as a form. But since our quotes can run anywhere from a few items up to possibly tens of items (one quote was over 150), I want to give the user the ability to add and remove lines to the form (i.e. tab to the next field, but if, say, CTRL+ENTER is used, then a new line is added with text fields for the item and another for a price).

I'm expecting to have to use VBA in some way, but searches for this keep bringing up form fields in MS Access, and that's not where I'm at.

MS Word 2003, by the way. And, off-topic, Word 2007 absolutely SUCKS for creating forms.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go! O/Siris
Have you tried the 'table' feature in MS Word (it's on the menu bar in Word 2000, don't know about later versions obviously).
Once a table has been created I find it very easy to add rows as required.
Or is it the table feature you are referring to as forms?

O/Siris

O/Siris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well, I'm using a table, but the problem is that once I protect the document for forms... Let me step back. This document is going to be a template that users will base DOC's on. So it's going in their template library.

But once I protect for forms, and place it in the templates library, I can't add to it. I mean, I could open the template file, un protect, add/remove rows, reprotect, resave, and open a new document based on the template. But I don't want to force users into that. It's about as bad as manually creating the quote document.

I feel like I'm being as clear as mud here. I want to create a template for a quote. Our quotes can run from as few as 5 items, to as much as a hundred, and a couple of past quotes were even larger. So I want to provide a form that's got, say, 5 line items, but let's the user add on more.

Maybe the forms function of MS Word doesn't do this?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I think Access might be a better way of doing this really because it sounds like you're trying to do something with Word that it's not designed to do and you're running into its limitations in this area.

O/Siris

O/Siris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm not finding any information on this, so I'm thinking you're probably right, unless I try to get all fancy with VBA.