Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware removal

• Please log in to reply

Windoze

Windoze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All,
I just joined this forum and I want to say a big Thank You :) to member fnkac for reccommending Combofix
I am a Senior Analyst at a Large financial company Help Desk that supports over 3000 users, and it is about as far from a typical help desk as you can get. We do hands-on about 50% of the time, including Notebook and Tablet PCs and Blackberries. We support WIN XP and all MS Office apps, and a number of highly sophisticated proprietary apps.
Unfortunately, the company "security policy" allows users to be local admins on their PCs, and we are constantly battling Malware, Grayware, Adware, etc. which contains all kinds of trojans, backdoors, infected popups, etc. etc. Well, I thought I would have to :) on this latest one, the "Spy Away" and "Perfect Cleaner" infection. I don't give up easily, so I Googled around until I found the thread in this forum about them and Combofix. I immediately created a restore point, and installed and ran Combofix. I could not believe all the garbage it found and safely removed after I had scanned the PC with the latest versions of Spybot S&D, AdAware, and Trend Micro. All I had to do when it was done was to restore the Active Desktop, and Voila! No more crapware! :)
Thanks again! :)

Advertisements