Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cdrw drive not seeing disks

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Running xpsp2. the TDK CDRW drive would keeping opening after closing. After wasting time researching TDK for support, i found that i already had the firmware to update; that made the tray stay closed. it will not see any type of CD. After much research today, i have changed one registry entry so i could change the properties of the CD drive so it would record (the record button was missing). Still no help. But now when i click on the D drive, i at least get a blank new window instead of D:\ is not accessible.

Also my system keeps restarting itself, sometimes. I may be able to use it for 1, 2 hrs or not!! i can get to safe mode OK. it seems it would restart itself every 10 min when i was scanning for spyware and viruses (NONE FOUND!!).

When system starting, the Boot from CD is always there even tho no CD in drive.

This all started after i copied a avi movie file to a CD. i THINK i used window media player to do it.
I removed ALL my symantec products since i know they cause some conflicts.

Advertisements

Confuseano

Confuseano

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have you tried the system restore? Restore your system to the latest day you know your computer worked normally.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Restarting automatically can be caused by a variety of issues, most often Driver corruption, new/uncompatible software, overheating, Operating system file corruption, malware infection.

Turn off the Windows Automatic Restart function, so we can see which error your system is encountering:
  • Go to Start, right-click - My Computer, then Select - Properties
  • Click the Advanced (tab)
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click - Settings
  • In the System failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart"
  • Click OK twice
Now, your system will not automatically restart when the error occurs. This does not mean the issue is resolved, it just means you will be able to see the Error Name when it is encountered.

When your machine next encounters the problem, you will see the Windows Stop Error screen, also known as the "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD). Encountering this screen means that Windows can no longer continue operating normally and needs to be restarted. What is important is that, although daunting, this screen will tell you the Error Name and Number that made your computer unhappy. Please write down this Error Name and Number (using paper and pencil) the next time you receive it and post it back here into this same thread wwhen you reply.

The other option you have to get the error code is through the Event Viewer. Using this method, you won't have to wait for the system to encounter another error.:
  • Go to Start|Run, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter.
  • When the Event Viewer opens, there will be two panes. The left pane is for event categories (Application, Security, and System). The right pane is for event messages (Information, Warning, and Error). We want to find errors.
  • Left-click the Application category in the left pane and check for any error messages in the right pane. You want one that occurred the same time your system encountered the error.
  • Repeat the previous step for each category, or until you find an appropriate error.
  • Double-click the error message to bring up the information.
  • Click the third button on the right side of the information window (copies information)
  • Paste the information here into this thread for additional assistance

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
To specifically address your CD-RW problem....

• First complete the procedures in the previous post to trouble-shoot the type of Error/Stop problem your machine is encountering. Post back with your new information or perform recommended solutions.
  • Take a look at this Tutorial for CD optical drive related problems
    http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Confuseano: tried restore 3x, no luck. still same problems

Doug: "Turn off the Windows Automatic Restart function, so we can see which error your system is encountering" - done that several times and never got to BSOD to see the error - the only time i WOULD like to see blue!!

There are errors in the event viewer (which i check regularly) but none seem to match up w/ the times its rebooting - mostly to do w/ starting in safe mode.

I have already changed the value in registry for CDBurning. I do not have any errors in device manager.

i took out the TDK and put in another work cdrom and everything was OK, so i thot. it locked up last night, don't know when or how long after i left it. rebooted this am, worked a little and locked up while online. Later on used wordperfect and it locked up on me. Upon reboot all i got was restart, restart, restart...... i shut it down and ran Lifeguard diagnostic disk, ran about 2 min and rebooted. I am in the process now of checking the hard drive in another comp and another hard drive in this one, tdk in that one, blah, blah. when i get it back i will note the dvmgr erros. so frustrating and my laptop is dead also. thank god husband stops playing solitaire every once so i can use it to get here!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

Let's get a good overview of your machine.
We may be able to spot some other factor that is contributing to the problem.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Thanks doug. if i could run that test, i would. here's what i've done
TDK CD Drive works in other computer (although it locked up on music cd then found i had no sound? worked fine last fall, not the issue anyway) it will also read a data disk.

{as i'm typing this and reading my notes, i'm not sure what HD this is, must be the orginal, god i hope i don't confuse you, i've got a headache}

put a known working HDD into my comp, it just sat, would not power off w/ button and as i pushed the reset it started = no master disk, disk boot failure insert system disk. powered off.

put a known working HD drive from the computer that sees the TDK CDrom in my comp in the second IDE slot. it was CLUNKING, never heard that B4 and all i did was walk 25 feet w/ it. comp saw the drive but sat at black screen with cursor blinking in top left. i shut it down.

use same HD w/ new cable in IDE slot 1, same exact scenario. Shut down.

Go back to the original HD w/ new cable - NOTHING - no lights. as i Held in the power button it started. i select start windows normally got "windows could not start bcuz this file is miss or corrupt <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. pressed reset button, start in safe mode, same exact error.

I put the old cable back on, started right up, clicked start windows normally and got the blue screen finally:
stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7986528, 0XC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000).

got the same in safe mode.

So now i have left it alone. Got to figure out now why the other one has no sound and MyComp locks up (had that same prob on the other for months).

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
forgot this: the HD that went clunkity clunk clunk clunk :) works fine when i put it back where it belongs! :)

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Substituting "known good hard drives" into your machine would require a Reinstall of Windows Operating System.
Even if the "known good hard drive" already had Windows installed, it would be customized to address the drivers and hardware of the machine it was first used in, and would not "work" in a second machine.

You may be experimenting a bit to ambitiously.

I'm concerned that the nature of what you describe having tried, may suggest that you are attempting repairs that may best be left to a tech shop that could give direct hands-on attention to your difficulty.

Correct me if I am understanding your situation wrongly.
______________________-

Your present problems could be caused by Device Driver failure, Boot Sector Virus, Failing Hardware, information written and now unaccessible from bad-sectors on your hard drive.

If you have valuable data, files, and media on the Hard Drive, which you wish to preserve, you could install the Hard Drive as a second (slave position) hard drive into a known working machine.
Conduct multiple scans of antivirus and antispyware on the target HD to assure it is clean of infection
Use the known working machine to copy/paste the data/files/media you wish to preserve.

You can then begin trouble-shooting and repair with the failing machine.
Possiblilities:

Install a parallel instance of your operating machine on the same hard drive, using that new installation to fix the existing installation.
Run virus/spyware scanning to assure your Hard Drive is not infected.
Conduct a Repair installation overtop of your current Windows operating system
Format the hard drive and complete a fresh installation of your operating system.

Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thanks doug. i will try the slave thing this weekend, didn't think of that. only os and programs on this drive, have slave for ALL files.

ive run all the spyware, antivirus, etc. that's always mentioned here at gtg. i was working up to posting a hijack this log due to slow down issues about a month ago but never got around to it. my system gets scanned once a week and i have not found anything.

I did run Norton Disk Doctor from floppy and "an error was found in the free cluster count. Status: NOT corrected." Found no info on what to do about that.

I found one of the error from EvntMgr that i had printed (it a new one): IPSec Services failed to get list on network interfaces. ......Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to diganose. Event ID 615. i have not had a chance to research this so i don't know what IPSec monitor is and how to run it.

Also another ?, when checking the DevMgr, i found i HAD 12 network adapters, when i usually only had two listed. When i checked another time, it was back to the 2. having 12 freaked me out a little but i guess on one of the restarts, they disappeared.

I;ll let you know how the slave this works out. Buying a new hard drive no big deal, i love new electronics!!

I had to laff out LOUd When i read my horriblescope for today:

Today your continuing progress might slow up a bit. Problems with computers, telephones, cellular phones, fax machines, or other forms of modern technological equipment might interrupt your workday at some point, gail. This might be very frustrating and irritating, and though you don't usually blow your top, today you might be sorely tempted. Try to keep your cool, as this should pass by tomorrow. You don't want to make those around you more upset than they already are!

:)

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Thanks for sharing your chuckle.

I'll stand by, in the event that you have other questions.
Good luck on your research and solutions seeking.

G2G is an absolutely wonderful place for learning.
I'm glad you decided to become a Member.

Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
couldn't wait til weekend. can read everything when set up as a slave, so obv not HD issue. so is my next step to do a windows repair on that drive? can i do it when set as slave?? does the repair just repair or does it format at same time?

"Install a parallel instance of your operating machine on the same hard drive, using that new installation to fix the existing installation" Im not sure what you mean by this, so if you explain i can do.

"Conduct a Repair installation overtop of your current Windows operating system", not sure what you mean by this either.

ive been reading/researching since i bot my 1st pc in 1993 when i was clueless. Im the one all my friends call when they need help, esp my 83yr old mother!!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

couldn't wait til weekend. can read everything when set up as a slave, so obv not HD issue

seriously suggestive, but not obvious or certain.
the boot sector and/or the operating system could easily be written to "bad-sectors", thereby causing the problem.

You also have those all too frequent auto-restarts suggesting problems with Drivers, corrupted OS, or HEAT.

When you opened up the case, did it look like dust-bunnies have clogged the heat sink fins (on a Dell you have to open up that scoop by hinging it outward.

What brand or MotherBoard is your machine?
What Microsoft Media will you be using to install Windows
OEM
Retail
Do you know if your Windows installation CD has SP2 integrated into it (assuming XP)
________________-

If it were me conducting this work, I would run CHECKDISK on the HD before removing it from the working computer.
Start - Run (type)cmd - Enter - (at the blinking cursor type)chkdsk D: /f (where D is the drivename assignment for the hard drive when it is slaved) or (substitute the correct drivename)

Notice the space before D and before /f
______________-

When you put the HD back into its original machine, remember to reset the Jumper Pin to configure as Master or CS (cable Select)

It would be "easiest" to perform a Repair Installation.
Use this excellent tutorial

But if it were me, I'd seriously consider reformat-reinstall.
You must first:
Backup your saved documents and files
Have your machine Chipset and drivers backed up to CD
have all your Application software available for reinstall

When installing XP, here's my suggested sequence of actions:
Here is a brief listing of sequence of steps necessary when installing Operating System (XP and earlier)

Reinstall in the following order:
  • Operating System
  • SP2 if not included on prior installation CD
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • ChipSet Drivers
  • Firewall
  • AntiVirus
  • MS Updates (critical Updates and patches)
  • AntiSpyware
  • Hosts File

• JAVA Runtime Environment
  • optionally Adobe FlashPlayer and Adobe Shockwave (for all selected browsers)
  • Then peripheral and application files.

Keep us posted with your progress on this interesting project.

Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Inside case clean, i make sure of that. Checked temps, OK.

Mother board is K7s6A. I have retail MS XP, SP 1 & 2.

No errors in chkdsk /f, chkdsk /r.

how do i back up Chipset Drivers??

Should i just try FIXMBR (repair) instead of reinstalling first?

before i took out the drive, the cdrom was not reading disks so how will i "reinstall". i have the floppy set and already tried that a few days ago. when it got to the last disk, it restarted :)

When you say reinstall in this order, what are hosts files? where do i get the directx 9 and the java to reinstall?

the drive is readable so i can copy whatever files, just need to know which ones.

in the past (too many times), ive just reinstalled win; didn't have any backups of any drivers, etc.

after this i guess i will back up the MBR; i have the software but never did it.

right now i'm running onecare safety scanner (been going since about 1am). it has found errors so i don't want to stop it. its got a ways to go at 32% right now.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
the onecare safety scanner found a virus and deleted it, no other av i used found it.

put the HD and CDrom back in computer. would not boot to cd so i used the floppies to repair windows. i was asked what to repair (1. c:\windows), i hit enter after it asked for password since i have none. the screen then displayed c:\windows> on two lines. it restarted. i clicked start windows normally and windows started. It did restart at one point but since then its been on.

The TDK CDrom drive is seen in the bios and device mgr but it still will NOT read any type of CD. I had it on the second ide alone. so i changed it to a slave on the first and still won't work. I put my slave HD on the second and that works ok there. The TDK worked in the other computer.

here's the pcpitstop link: http://www.pcpitstop...9UNSWR3F4GSPNKG