Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cdrw drive not seeing disks

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
computer restarted itself this am. was gone a few hours during day. been ok since 230pm.

still can't get cd to run.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

I have had a look at your PCPitstop Full Tests TechExpress.

You have (2) two antivirus products running actively - McAfee and AVG
You have (3) three antispyware products running actively - Superantispyware, AVG, Webroot Spysweeper.

Each of those programs are excellent, however....
You must have only (1) one AntiVirus running actively on your machine at any one time (otherwise serious conflicts can occur)

With regard to AntiSpyware, having more than one AntiSpyware installed is often recommended because of the wide range of threats that each can detect that the other might not. However, you have selected three very good and very agressive products that are highly likely to create conflicts with each other and with your machine when all three are run in realtime active background scanning.

Additionally you have Windows One Care "may" create conflicts, but doesn't seem to be running active at this time.

Recommendation:

• Either disable or uninstall one of your AntiVirus Products.
  • Disable all three of your AntiSpyware products from running in realtime (you can leave one or restore one at a later time according to your preference)

• Please post a fresh PCPitstop Full Test after completing the above.
  • Please post with information about how your machine is functioning after completing the above.

Note: There are other items to give attention to, and other steps that may be helpful, but completing the above may give you an entirely different (better) experience with your machine.

Note: That your machine "restarted" automatically one time, may have been as a result of a Microsoft Update that required restarting the machine in order to complete the update installation. Same thing happened to my machine recently. It is not a problem, in itself, but does highlight the importance of keeping your work saved and backed up.

Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
only mcafee and webroot running now. usually i disable all the others after i've used them - don't think they were running when all this started.

the onecare was not done on this comp.

http://www.pcpitstop...9UNSWR3F4GSQ7KG

the restart was not due to update, i install myself and they are still waiting.

it restarted overnight.

CDrom drive is gone, not in dev mgr or my comp (which is real slow now, yest is was good)

i'd really like to get the cd fixed so i can just reinstall.

will post again if i notice restarts today.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

I confirm from your Pit Test that the CD unit is "not" being recognized.
I do understand that what you wish to do at this point is to get the CD unit functional so that you can reinstall Windows.
Reinstalling Windows may be a bit drastic, may not be necessary, but - It is your machine, therefore your decision.

According to the fresh PCPitstop Full Tests TechExpress that you have posted....
BOTH McAfee and AVG antivirus utilities - "are running simultaneously" on your machine, at this present time.
BOTH SpySweeper and AVG antispyware utilities - "are running simultaneously" on your machine, at this present time.

The condition of having these multiple antimalware utilities running active on your machine - is probably - interfering with the ability to make system and registry changes to cause your CD unit to become recognized.
The condition of having these multiple antimalware utilities running active on your machine is also responsible for the 88% CPU Load and sluggish machine behavior.

Until you select (1) one AntiVirus, and (1) AntiSpyware, AND disable the others (or uninstall them), it may not be possible to make the necessary changes to get you CD unit recognized.

Please Download, and Run CodeStuff - Starters
http://www.snapfiles...et/starter.html

From the StartUps(tab) – Please ClickFile - "Save as HTML"
Name the file: Starters(todays date).html

Attach the file as an "attached file" to your next Reply in this thread.

Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
in msconfig, i unchecked everything related to avg and disabled in services.

this program seems to say its still in startup, in the registry ?

still no cdrom

my computer view has changed. the items are not separated by type anymore. Never mind this, i fixed but have no clue why it changedAttached File  startersmar13.html   7.25KB   11 downloads

Edited by galec, 16 March 2008 - 06:22 PM.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i think the restarting issues has stopped, hopefully.

now i REALLY need to get the CDrom working, i really need to reinstall windows. too many other minor errors that i don't want to waste another two weeks of my life trying to fix; besides fixing my laptop and my mother's hp which will NOT do a recovery.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

It's good to read that you are not having that annoying re-start issue at this time.

If I were the one dealing with that machine, I'd do the following:

• Disconnect from the internet (physically unplug connection to router or modem)
  • Disable "all" startups (especially including McAfee and SpySweeper)
  • Take a look at this Tutorial for CD optical drive related problems
  • http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

Remember to re-Enable your anti-malware utlities (only one of the anti-Virus) after you've finished the above and before you attempt to connect to the internet again.

Hopefully, the above will get your CD unit recognized so that you can proceed with a Repair Installation or other repair steps.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Doug

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no progress at all.

no internet, start ups or services running. did all the steps in the turtorial (AGAIN, did those long time ago), still no CDRom.

It started restarting again but finally got it stable (not sure how, too much to keep track of and can't read my writing :) ) to mess w/ the CDRom. I tried one in the 2nd IDE, is seen in bios and my comp but won't play. Tried a diff one in same spot, no luck. I got one to work as a slave and started to reinstall windows; i thot my prob was over!! no such luck. the cd gave me an error: file \i386vgaoem.fon could not be found. Error code 7. Couldn't find any help on that so i tried another xp disk and to tell you the truth i can't remember what happened (thurs). i do know windows did not reinstall but i was able to restart the system but i left it on overnight (th-fri) to see if it would restart, it did not!! so i shut it off fri am and just turned it on

Both fans were on but no lights, NOTHING. i waited and held in the button but it would not shut off so i used the switch on the tower. Restart, it took a looong time but it finally started but would NOT boot to CDRom. it restarted twice so i changed the CD. same thing. 3rd time i got the black screen asking how to start windows, normally, it restarted. got black scree again, start win last known good, it restarted. black screen again to safe mode and got BSOD:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}. Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status f 0xc0000005 (0x00000000, 0x00000000). System has been shut down.

im trying to research that now, but so far the fixes are done in windows which does not help me at all

The good thing is my laptop is running, needed new harddrive. so far so good i think.
my mom's motherboard was fried so I ordered her a new one.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

no internet, start ups or services running.

Galec.... Is this a correct statement?
You have turned off all of your "services"?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
yes.

since last post:

i took out the CDrom. windows could not start cuz file is missing or corrupt <windowsroot>\system32/ntoskrnl.exe. I have rec'd this error before when swapping out the cdrom/hdd if i remember correctly, its in my notes.

so i reboot and get the same as above.

changed to a diff cdrom, same results. won't boot to cd goes right to windows w/ the FATAL error.

i hooked my TDK CDrom to a usb enclosure, changed the bios to 2nd boot from usb_cdrom. YEAH!! it load the CD and windows starts to install. i was cooking and heard it shut off, CRAP. Had the blue screen.

so i did it again, waited and watched. it loads all the files, starts to the windows black logo screen and got a NEW BSOD:

STOP: ocoooooo7B (0xF7986528,0cc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000), Im pretty sure i got this error b4 also, but can't find it in my notes. huh, while posting this i was researching the above error and found it it this topic on March 6.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
What procedure did you use to "turn off" your services?

For instance.... Did you use?---> MSCONFIG - Services(tab) - Disable All

I ask because your Microsoft Operating System depends upon the availability of various "Services" in order to run.
Therefore if you have performed the above, many functions of your machine would not work correctly.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
at one point, yes i disabled all services. i was able to get into windows then because i always checked msconfig each time i was able to get windows started.

at this point, i THINK only non MS services are disabled.

i was reading this post: http://www.geekstogo...p;hl=flash bios

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
so you think formatting this w/ fdisk will work?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I think fdisk will format the hard drive in FAT32.

I'm not clear how you have advanced to formating HD if you have yet to gain access to your Optical Drive, which you will need for reinstall of Windows.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i was thinking of doing it as a slave

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867

don't think it could hurt at this point