Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cdrw drive not seeing disks

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I still don't make any sense out of what you are proposing.
Sorry. I may just be dense, and not recognize what you are communicating.

Before you initiate your planned adventure, will you do the following?

Run a fresh PCPitstop Full Test, and post the fresh TechExpress

After I get a chance to look over the Pit Test Results, I may be recommending to repeat the CD - registry related fix as posted earlier..... but let's have a look at that Pit Test first, please.

Best Regards

Advertisements

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
don't think i can run that, windows won't load. get getting blue screen errors.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
See if you can load into SAFE Mode.
Then perform the MS recommended Upper and Lower Filter Registry changes.
http://support.micro...kb/314060/en-us
Be sure to use reasonable caution, including backing up the section of the Registry that you are changing.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no safe mode, keep restarting.
w/ cmd prompt, get blue screen
w/ networking, get different blue screen.

why does it take sooo long to start up after being off overnight?? the fans come right on but it took a long time for it to kick in.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
nice ears :) , didn't notice before!!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

Try turning on your Services.

Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
Click on the Services(Tab) - Click on the "Enable all"(Button)
Click - Apply - Click - Close
Reboot your machine.

Let us know how the machine is functioning.
If you can get it back on the Internet, run a fresh Pit Test and post the fresh TechExpress.

Thanks for noticing the "ears".
I figure it's Easter, so it's time for some bunny ears.
That was my best "free-hand" effort. I'm not much when it comes to photoshopping.
Hopefully, it is the "spirit" that counts. :)

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i hate to say it Doug, but maybe you are dense :)

My Last post:

no safe mode, keep restarting.
w/ cmd prompt, get blue screen
w/ networking, get different blue screen.

ran chkdsk and found errors and fixed. After 3 min after i turned it on, it shut it off (on the back), turned back on and it finally started but to NOTHING, it kept restarting.

ur right fdisk would not work (win98) but format ran.

but no go reinstalling windows. it would boot from the usb cdrom, try to install but restarted 2x. the third time it locked up the blue screeen stating setup is starting windows i shut it down and restarted. had to leave the room and came back to BSoD, the stop 7 code i rec'd b4.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi galec,

In this scenario, if CHKDSK found and fixed Errors, I would run it at least twice more.
By "at least", I mean that CHKDSK should be run at least once after the prior run finds no errors.

I do realize you are having trouble booting, but you appear to be able to boot "occasionally".

If my dense brain is serving me at least minimally, I recall that you've installed and uninstalled quite a few applications and/or utilities recently?

The HD File Structure (which CHKDSK works on) sometimes gets a bit scrambled with multiple install and uninstalls.

You mentioned FIXBOOT in a much earlier post.

Do you have a "recovery partition" on this machine?

If so you can run FIXBoot from Recovery Console.
Here's some instructions from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

Please note that if you have a virus infection, using FIXBOOT may have "undesireable" results.

If at all possible, download and run HiJackThis, and post in our Malware Forum.
I'll watch your progress there.
When you are all clear, we can resume this work.

If I am totally missing the point here, I'll see if I can get a knowledgeable Tech to look in on this thread.
Please let me know.
Best Regards

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i was able to boot occasionally, but not now.

don't recall uninstalling/installing anything but its been a few wks working on this. if anything installed it would have been for troubleshooting.

no recovery partition. guess what, next time there will be!! i think i found info on that and printed it.

i did the fixmbr a while ago but not the fixboot, never got a chance to get back to that point.

no virus/malware, etc. Did all that before the system became unstable

can't run hijack this now since can't boot.

i don't think youre missing the point. it's just that so much is happening/happened/happened again and again.

right now the empty formatted HD is in another computer. i actually got it to start installing windows from the CD and am formatting it again to make sure it is empty. X your fingers. so if that doesn't work i'll do the chkdsk again as you request.

If that doesnt work, i will try another power supply tmw to eliminate that. I may try a bench test on MB.

OR I'LL JUST GET A NEW ONE!!! :) but not til i've tried everything. this is the worst time i've ever had w/ a computer.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
turned on, no go. tried diff power supply, OK!!! still same problems (no boot, blue screen, etc).

Did motherboard test, it tested OK.

Bought new hard drive. Installed and Get:

boot from cd:
DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I get the same when nothing in floopy or cd drive

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
set your bios to default settings...usually F5 but read the screen to see what yours is save your settings ..usually F10 but read the screen to be sure....while your in the bios set the boot order to A floppy 1st...cd drive second...hard drive 3rd...then

lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests...
depending on the new hard drive you just installed..the manufactures make floppy's to run their own tests on their hard drives....get them from the manufactures website....it also wouldn't hurt to replace both the drive cables ( cd drive too)...they MUST BE 40 PIN 80 WIRE cables...I've seen bad cables cause the kind of problems you are experiencing

Edited by happyrck, 26 March 2008 - 03:43 PM.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thanks.

it think, HOPE!! everything is good now. i took out the TDK Cddrive and put in the samsung. booted right up and installed windows to new drive. HALLA FREAKING LUYA :) :) Its hard to fathom that after fomatting, fixboot, fixmbr would not fix the drive.

i took out the samsung and put the tdk back in. it is seen in bios and is devmgr but will not read disks. it works in my other system and as a usb. i just can't figure this part out. i have checked the registry settings (as i've done b4) and everything fine. its just maddening that it won't work on my system anymore. i can use the samsung but not the point :)

there are two yellow ? in dev mgr that i didn't have b4: mulitmedia audio controller & network controller. I did leave out the modem and ethernet card since i don't use them, wasn't sure if there's a connection.

after the initial install of windows, i shut down and installed the wireless card. it did not see the card (no installation wizard and not in devmgr). shut down and moved to a diff slot and is sees it now. i'll install it later.

happyrck, i had cleared the bios the other day, have run mem tests and whatever else we (doug) could think of. my concern now is WHY the tdk will not work in this system. i suppose i should give it up and just use the samsung but it's gonna be nagging at me.

Doug, thanks for all your time and suggestions. All that I've learned has been printed and filed away, hopefully forever; i don;t want to go thru this again!!!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Good Job, Galec! :)

Thanks Happyrck, for your contribution.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

my concern now is WHY the tdk will not work in this system.

it may just need a firmware update or a newer bios than you currently have...
but with that said...if its not broke don't fix it...

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i updated the firmware within the last 2 wks while trbleshooting. after i get all my progs installed, i'll try it again. now the hp cdrw drive i am using is making noises intermittently. one program would not install the program at all so i cancelled. then i used it to install 4 programs with no noises, errors. etc. so yet another mystery.

the questions i had re: the ?? in dvcmgr were not answered by either of you; maybe you just overlooked.