Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with gainward 7900gtx SLI

• Please log in to reply

Stomper79

Stomper79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey folks,

I recently built my new rig, this included 2 x Gainward 7900gtx graphics cards to run in sli mode, I have the pc up and running smoothly, However i cant seem to get the cards to run in SLI, when i go to the nvidia toolbox and select the SLI tab, it says "i must remove any graphics cards that are not compatible with the nvidia SLI"

The thing is these cards are both sli compatible, and have worked in my friends pc before,

I tried swapping the cards around and they both work individually but for the love of god, they wont run together!!! /cry

Anyone got any suggestions?

Running Windows XP Pro

AMD 64 X2 4400+
2 gig of Corsair CMXP1024 3200cp
LanParty N4 SLI-DR Expert mobo
2 x Gainward 7900GTX cards

Advertisements

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Is the SLI bridge to the cards properly connected and both PCIe 6 pin connectors connected to each card correctly? Additionally the bios (or manual switch I can't remember for that DFI model) need to be set to SLI, and within the NV control panel under "manage 3d settings" make sure multi GPU performance mode" is enabled. I built several SLI systems (around 15 or so) but they were nearly all with the older Asus A8N SLI boards and a few of the newer MSI 650I and 2 eVGA 680 SLI boards, but I didn't use the DFI in any builds so I don't know about that DFI board specifically. I have an MSI 650i/E6750/7950GT SLI system myself.

Stomper79

Stomper79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply Bravo,

The SLI bridge is installed correctly, I have double and triple checked this,

There are no switched on the board for turning on the SLI mode, There is an option to switch on multi gpu, but the problem is still there, As far as the nvidia control panel is concerned, there are non sli cards in the system,

Another thing i have tried is downloading the latest drivers recommended by Nvidia, How ever when these are installed, they stick to the lowest resolution and lowest color adaption, I just rolled back the drivers and they work fine,

I have managed to run crysis at a decent level, without any problems, I'm now wondering if they are running in sli but the nvidia control panel just cant tell??

I'm now at a bit of a loss, Is there anyway other way to test to see if the cards are working in sli without going through the nvidia control panel?

Thanks in advance for any reply :)

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello, sorry about what you're going through I fully understand because I also lost certain resolutions with my own 7950GT SLI setup with 169.21's and had to roll back to 158.27's to get them all back. As far as seeing - testing if SLI is working you might try to force split frame rendering mode, and the only way for that to render is if you have SLI active (if I'm not mistaken). Mine show up as SLI'ed, but I'm about to sell these and get an 8800GT (or 9800GT) anyhow and just go with a single GPU from this point forward.

I'm going to provide a few links for you and you should read the section in this next link titled "Why does SLI or MultiGPU fail to initialize?" ~ link ~

This specific topic on a search I did with specific key words showed up with a guy in the NV forums that could not get SLI working on a like board (DFI SLI board) with cards that aren't much different than yours, and at the end of the topic a guy told him he should turn the SLI bridge 180 degrees so maybe that might help?

Also make sure you're using the top cards video connector on the outside like this picture here

Posted Image

And one final link I found in with a guy having issues in Crysis and SLI not being active (I don't have that game by the way) but this link may also help you to get SLI active withing Crysis as it has some very specific steps ~ link ~