Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

status code - 1073741819

• Please log in to reply

benhal8

benhal8

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Upon startup, I get a couple of messages:

Service and Controller app has encountered a problem and needs to close
Details are:
The instruction at "0x01008e40" referenced memory at "0x0c07fb1b". The memory could not be read.

Then I get:

The system process 'C WINDOWS \system32\services.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code - 1073741819
Details are:
Error signature
szAppName:services.exe
szAppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
szModName:services.exe
szModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 offset: 00008e40

And then my computer shuts down.

Edited by benhal8, 05 March 2008 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From what I read there is a good chance that the problem is malware related. please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my list of programs below). Take all the preliminary steps. After the experts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Kahdah is working with me, as malware started this whole fiasco. I seemed to have rid myself of it and then this stuff started popping up. I'll be sure to consult Kahdah on this matter. Thanks,

Ben

Edited by benhal8, 06 March 2008 - 01:10 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please keep working with him. We do not involve this forum in a malware problem as long as the people from the malware forum did not declare the computer clean.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Kahdah declared my computer clean, but I'm still having system speed issues. Everything is running VERY slowly, at least compared to before. Additionally, whenever I save a WORD document, a screen pops up that says

"If you change a file name or extension, the file may become unusable.
Are you sure you want to change it?"

Thanks,

Ben

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have, or can you borrow, XP installation CD? If yes, place it in the CD drive and click Start > Run. In the line that opens type sfc /scannow (please note the space after sfc) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end. When it ends, the dialog box just disappears.

To speed-up your omputer please do the following: (For most downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use the link in my signature to the malware forum and follow all the preliminary steps. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. For this operation I use and recommend Auslogic Disk Defrag.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags registry and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: -> Properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

8: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procedure for Secondary IDE Channel.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No XP disc. Completed steps 1-5.

Physical memory -
TOTAL - 1505768
AVAILABLE - 1006700

Used space - 35.2 GB
Free space - 142 GB
Capacity - 177 GB

My IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers are under unknown for some reason.

IDE Primary Channel - Ultra DMA Mode 5
IDE Secondary Channel - Ultra DMA Mode 2

Thanks for your time.

Ben

Edited by benhal8, 08 March 2008 - 12:09 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you give us some details about your computer. Did you have XP installed on it when you got it? Do you have any restore or recovery CD?

At this stage some system repair must be performed. The easiest is to run sfc /scannow. The next is to perform XP repair (as per instructions in the link in my signature). If none helps, or is impossible to perform, then I think that clear format is all that is left to do. Depending on the details that you supply we'll try to guide you further.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, XP was installed on my computer when I purchased it and I do not have a recovery cd except for Microsoft Office.

FYI, I re-ran SDFIX in safe mode and that seems to have alleviated my system speed problems.

The only issues I am currently having are Microsoft Word acting up.

Also, I get a blue HP screen on startup that turns to a black screen that says:

Please select the operating system to start
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8

Edited by benhal8, 08 March 2008 - 06:25 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not a malware removal expert but it looks to me that if you ran SDFix and it improved the situation then the computer was/is not clean of malware.

Try to use this link to download RRT. Before running it please read the text describing what RRT is and how it works.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Kahdah helped me and I think I'm good.

The only issues I am currently having is Microsoft Word acting up. When I go to alter the name it says:

"If you change a file name or extension, the file may become unusable.
Are you sure you want to change it?"

Also, I get a blue HP screen on startup that turns to a black screen that says:

Please select the operating system to start
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried RRT?

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I try to run it but it says:

C:\DOCUM~1\HP_ADM~1\Desktop\RRT_(R~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0de5 IP:0288 OP:63 6f 6e 74 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.